Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Author Topic: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 04:22 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this for reasons that I don't care to post. I will say that I enjoy Jim Carrey in his serious roles much more that the comedies. I think most people will think it is weird and I dont see it doing anything.

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

If you liked it for reasons you don't care to post.. then why did you? [evil]

Is there a 'someone' you'd like to erase?

BTW, I haven't seen it yet... but will most likely see it tonight.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 09:49 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, because I wanted to let everyone know that I think Jim carrey is better in these types of roles.

Erase? No, I wouldnt erase anything. One of the main themes in the movie is that it is your bad memories that make you who you are.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-23-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this movie today. I enjoyed it. I love the ending and the style of the movie as a whole. Jim Carry was really hot too [Big Grin] I didn't think so before... but ohhh... He was [thumbsup]

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it because it was different and took risks. I also saw "21 Grams" the same weekend. Wow... give my mind a rest. "Eternal..." didn't have the ending that satisfied me, but it was worth the trip. When movies like this are not necessarily sequential, I think the director needs to watch the time factor. You could cut 20 minutes and it might have been a better film. I'd say the same for "21 Grams".

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 02:39 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed away from the theaters for most of Feb and early March.
3 weeks is too long, and I got to see this movie. Loved it. Jim Carrey always seemed a little self consciously reigned in for the decent Truman Show and the putrid The Majestic. In this movie, he truly blends into his role. Charlie Kaufman gives us a script that has more feeling compared to his Spike Jonez collaborations. The music video direcvtor Gondry acquits himself well by not overdirecting the movie. The cast is well chosen.

My only little problem is that I wish they showed Kate Winslet's character more appealing in her good moments to appreciate the contrast with her darker ones. Still, it is not a major complaint as Kate does a good job making you forget that though while you are watching the movie.

Jon Brion who did an excellent job with Punch Drunk Love delivers a more subtle , but in no way inferior score for this movie.

Still, this is going to be a tough movie for the typical moviegoer to like. I didn't hear many good reactions from others when I saw Punch Drunk Love and Wes Anderson movies like Royal Tenenbaums. I heard many renters hated Lost in Translation. So , keep in mind that if you hated all those movies and stuff like Adaptation and John Malkovich, then you are a good candidate not to like this movie that much. If you liked at least half of them, then by all means, give this movie a shot.

No way this movie makes 100M at the boxoffice(referring to another thread dealing with this movie's boxofice). Distributors should be happy to get a $40M box office take.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-12-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie.

bump

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE OF 2004. I have seen it twice and have been just blown away and emotionally moved by it both times. The writing and acting are excellent. It is absolutely brillant and also hilarious in certain parts. It is also extremely emotional and touching, and goes on to say it how it is about relationships and such. This was way better than Being John Malkovich or Adaptation IMO. I can't say enough about it. JUST SIMPLY EXCELLENT! 5/5 STARS!! GO SEE THIS ONE.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see Jim Carey talking about this movie on Letterman? He said he had a clip of the movie but it was all in his head, then a stage hand walked out and shaved a rectangle into Jim's head, he then leaned forward and they projected it onto his head!

They were a little off from the rectangle, and there was a bright blue light shining on him which leads me to believe it wasn't actually projected, but just a chromakey, but it was a cool effect none the less!

Erika McCarty
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for Erika McCarty   Email Erika McCarty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best film I've seen all year. I loved the visual artistry throughout the film (Clementine's hair!), I loved the fact it made me laugh AND think, and I loved the theme. Not to spoil it for anyone, but I loved the ending. Very human, not perfect or cheesy, and it made me feel genuinely good. Kate Winslet positively shines in this movie, Clementine is very real and flawed (though I totally agree she was a little over villianized).

What's most powerful about this film is that most everyone can relate to it on some level...I suggest everyone give it a chance, it's worth your time!

Overall: [Big Grin]

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 11:43 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I liked this one a lot. I like things that are a bit peculiar.
I found if off-beat and well presented. In spite of the highly fictional elements, it had a very 'real' feeling to it. It has an honest take on life & relationships - nothing is ever perfect.

***Also the first movie I ever projected in a changeover booth!***
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: