Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hidalgo

Author Topic: Hidalgo
Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched Hidalgo, and I must say that its a teriffic film.
Not only has it got the middle-eastern element, there
is a lot of cowboy and western themed parts of the movie as well. Think Seabiscuit only with a bit of culture shock. It just might give Starsky and Hutch a run for its money.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At nearly 2 1/2 hours long, I found it quite boring in parts.

They didn't really explain why he came to work for Wild Bill, why did he come to drinking while working for the show.

What happened to the people in the show that chipped in their money to pay the entry fee?

They mentioned the hazards of the desert but didn't show him conquering a few of them. Specifically quick sand.

Can't compete with S&H.

Paul

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He came to drinking because of what he saw at Wounded Knee and that he was the messenger of the orders.

While he did not fall into the trap of the quicksand, he did help the other rider out of the quicksand. So the movie did show the perils it mentioned (quicksand, locusts, sandstorms, etc.)

I like the movie and the look you got into at bit of the culture of the 19th Century Middle East. It will be sad if this cannot compete with Starsky and Hutch. Quality wise, Starsky and Hutch should try to give Hidalgo a run for its money.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-08-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like long epic movies (except for "Postman"). Yes, it was on the verge of boring in places, but on the whole it was good escapist entertainment. Exotic locations and customs, adventures, beautiful mysterious women. I would have liked to see the English chick naked, but that would probably not have served the story... Good thing though they didn`t manufacture a romantic ending for Viggo and the Sheik`s daughter. That would simply have been too unbelievable. Although I wouldn`t have minded seeing the Arab chick naked either. Oops, I am getting carried away here. I am glad they kept the mystic stuff under a lid, when his Sioux ancestors spirits` appear in the desert, it was tastefully done. A little more, and it would have been like Obi-Wan appearing to Luke on the ice planet.
The Sheik came across a lot like Omar Sharif ("I have studied in Oxford. I can both read and write. Ha!").

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-10-2004 11:03 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went and watched this because there was nothing better on. I really thought I wasn't going to like it, and found myself really getting into it at times. The only problem I had was the time thing with him being at wounded knee, and then supposedly many years later seeming to be the same age, unless it wasn't many years later, and I missed something somewhere....

Either way, I enjoyed it.

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is one of the Dunedain, blessed with long life. Duh

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this film, especially knowing it was based on a true story. All the cast did a really good job, especially Omar Shariff who was definatley looking his age in this film. WHAT A GREAT ACTOR! Too bad that most of the younger set watching Hildago have no idea at all of some of his legendary roles!

Hildago kept my attention through out and the ending was pretty well done with the horse being set free again.

Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually not to get off topic, but there have been many articles stating that the movie might be a bunch of lies, that the guy was a liar and researchers have been unable to authenticate many of the claims and races in the film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-03-2004 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you first have to realize that not only did we not go to the moon, you don't live in Arizona, and I didn't grow up in the Chicago Suburbs... Only after you have comprehended the above things would you know the answer to your statement.... [Roll Eyes]

P.S. There was only one race in the film........

Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehh, whatever dude.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: