Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 50 First Dates

Author Topic: 50 First Dates
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie. It had a lot of typical stuff that you would expect in an Adam Sandler movie. It is set in Hawaii so the the scenery was nice.

Overall a good movie.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-29-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it too, even though I don`t think adam Sandler is funny and he plays the same role in every movie. But it was a relaxing movie with some very funny moments - none of them Sandler moments though - and a few good ideas. When the credits came on, I couldn`t believe the dumb bodybuilding brother was Sean Astin ("Sam Gamgee"). But he was.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-29-2004 03:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Decent flick, not great. Typical Adam Sandler movie.

...and as always, Rob Schneider had the funniest parts.

Coleman L. Zatarain
Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Coleman L. Zatarain   Author's Homepage   Email Coleman L. Zatarain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could have been better.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-03-2004 05:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was ok but I think the producers should have been more sensitive to the way how the local people were portrayed. The stereotypical manner in which all locals are shown not to be too bright and laid back is not true. Yes, there are people like that in Hawaii who never made anything out of their lives as I am aware that there are many like that everywhere. Although the scenes photographed on east Oahu were beautiful , my home island is not a place with only tropical forests and beaches. We have pretty much the same thing found in many other parts of the country. Honolulu is a beautiful city and full of life and so are the many communities on the island. We have several malls with great stores and movie theatres as well as a nice stadium that has been used by the NFL during the past 25 years when they hosted the Pro Bowl games. By the way, they have signed for another five more years. Several TV pilots with modern Hawaii settings are either in production or will be very soon. One of the program, a police drama has a 'working' title, "PEARL CITY" and is set in the town only three miles away from where I live and work and I hope it will be a great show like Magnum was.

-Claude

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-08-2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It had its moments. Rob is always funny, I wanted to picture him as the lead instead of Adam. Sean was really hot in this movie. Even when he plays someone who looks like they have the I.Q. of 2, but he's still "FIIINE".

Wow!! I'm SO shallow!! [Big Grin]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-08-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jennifer gave me another reason why I did not enjoy the way how some of the characters were stereotyped in this film other than the way some of my fellow islanders were portrayed as I had commented in a previous thread regarding "50 FIRST DATES". As some of you know after seeing some of my photographs at my web site, I photograph a lot of bodybuilders both male and female. For many years, the sport has been ridiculed in such a way that everyone who lifts weight and sculpt their body has a very low IQ and that was exactly the way Sean Astin's roll as a bodybuilder was portrayed and it was very insulting. First of all, one of the most famous bodybuilder is a self made millionaire from his movies and is now the governor of California. All of the bodybuilders I personally know are very intelligent and successful. One of them is a medical doctor and another is a attorney at law and has his own practice. One of my best friend is the current Mr. USA in the light weight class and is the head fitness director at 24hr Fitness in Hawaii. His girlfriend is also into the sport and successful as a personal trainer.

I personally like Sean Astin and have enjoyed his other performance in "THE LORD OF THE RINGS" trilogy and films such as "RUDY" but he was terrible in " 50 FIRST DATES" in my opinion. He was fat and no way looked like a serious bodybuilder.

-Claude

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-09-2004 06:18 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot. It was cute. It did what I expected. It had plenty of moments.

quote:
I liked it too, even though I don`t think adam Sandler is funny and he plays the same role in every movie.
I agree. I think the same applies to Drew Barrymore, too. There might be a talent for range in them, but their characters are never demanding, and so all their old habits and mannerisms just stick out.

I walk from auditorium to auditorium and see Sean Astin as the body-builder, then as the fat hobbit, then as the body-builder, then as the fat hobbit. It's almost creepy, how much weight he (seemed to) put on for Sam.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: