Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Passion of the Christ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Passion of the Christ
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is definitely not a movie for the weak stomached. I do not see what all the controversy is about, the events in the movie are nearly exact with that in the new testament. I think that the violence will hurt this movie after opening weekend.

Well done.

Edit: after reading Jason's post:

I too am Atheist, please don't get the wrong idea just because I liked this movie. Anyone interested in religion or history will like this film, if you can stand the gore.

[ 02-22-2004, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 02:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the movie.

I have never had such a mix of so many emotions and thoughts at once. The sheer sadness of it combined with the pure joy of it... it's unbelievable what Mel has pulled off here.

Considering the fact that the high priest was at the cross when they took Jesus down off of it without his headress, I think it is without any possible debate that there can be no antisemetism derived from anyone who is able to understand the simplest in story presentation. Especially since Mel clearly made a huge point to show very strongly that things were done in secrecy because the council would have likely never approved and many of the pharisees thought the whole thing was a farce.

The most brilliant scene as far as impact goes one with Satan but I won't give any details. I'll just say it gave me goosebumps.

Christians are going to have a very hard time watching this movie because so much of it is so heartbreaking. You know the end. You know the reason. You know you're at fault. You know the power, yet it is heartbreaking.

I really don't know how the average non christian will take the film. It's a powerful film and it's very emotional. I do feel nearly everyone will think it's an excellent work. Some of the things that are high tension moments may not have the same effect on someone who doesn't have a passion for what is happening. I also feel no one will be able to take thier eyes off the screen.

The only bad thing is that there is probably more cap code than I have yet seen in a film. Or, it's at least all relatively close together where maybe other films have it more spread out. I don't think most people will notice... I just don't blink very often when I am really into a movie. lol

If people will watch this movie and pay attention to Jesus' line about him chosing to give up his life and that no one(that would mean not Jews, not Romans, not nails, or whips) can take it from him uless he allows them to, they will have the answers to thier questions about who is to blame. I mean, just from a purely intellectual standpoint, I cannot see how there can be an issue here unless people just chose to not pay attention.

I've read about people feeling Mel went too soft on Pilate... it sure looked to me like he was painted as a spineless weakling dictated by fear... just like Peter was whom we know was forgiven according to the movie and the bible. I really felt Mel didn't let anyone off the hook in this movie. The slightest tiny bit of doubt seemed amplified in every character that felt it(all of them).

Photagraphy was excellent. There was a few times there was so much quick camera movement you just couldn't make heads or tails of the shot you just saw. Not to where it made the plot hard to follow, just enough to make you have to readjust your eyes for a second. It fits Mel's jittery mannerisms. lol

The music is FANTASTIC! Wow even.

The acting was even better. The language was beautiful to listen to and the actors delivered it so well.

Hmmm, I can't think of any of the other points theatre buff types would be interested in reading.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 03:09 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI, that guy at the cross was Joseph of Aramethea, he owned the garden of gethsemane where Jesus' tomb. I dont know how to spell those names.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I didn't think about Joseph being there. Still, the scene with the high priest crying after the temple was destroyed, it was done with a tinge of him "getting it." He was the one so adament about the temple being destroyed and rebuilt in three days. It was clear to me that he realized that that was exactly what had happened. Also, with Jesus praying for him just before that, I think it's safe to assume that it would have been something he thought about. Whether in real life it happend or not, Mel clearly showed that there was salvation for those directly responsible for Christ's death in the natural as well as salvation for all of us who killed him because of our sins as well. It was a clear demonstration of how the Jews indeed aren't any more responsible than I am. They were just the tool there at the time to be used.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW.

Viewing this film has proven to me that I actually know very little regarding the historical events told in the Bible.

Thankfully, I had co-workers who helped explain things to me that I did not understand. For those who KNOW the Bible, this will be a VERY moving film. For those who don't, I can see many questions that would need to be answered to more fully understand what was just viewed.

I, personally, found the film to be just as powerful as the buzz informed us it would be. I think that Mel Gibson has done an awe inspiring depiction of the crucifixtion of Christ. It is clearly evident that he, along with Jim Caviziel (sp?) have really put their heart into this film.

In my opinion, they have far surpassed my expectations. I expect big things to happen as a result of this film. It it sure to open the eyes of many.

BTW, I viewed the film with an atheist, who gave praise to the film as well.

Kevin, I noticed that CRAP CODE as well. It was as bad, or worse than in Master and Commander, which, to date, has had the worst insertion of CRAP CODE I've noticed.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still speechless. Never has it been so silent at the end of a film at our place. This film has made me rethink a few things. It scared me, but also gave me hope in something better that lays ahead.

AJG

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-22-2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this movie. Without going into too much detail, I'll say that even after hearing the story told in church and Sunday school hundreds of times, and reading the Gospels, and seeing biblical movies about Jesus' life from Jesus Of Nazareth to Jesus Christ Superstar, and thinking I know the basic story, nothing prepared me for this movie. Believers who have accepted Christ would be well advised to bring lots of tissues with them when they go to see The Passion.

As to the anti Semitic claims, they're unfounded. I had no animosity towards Jewish people going in, and I have none now, and I didn't get the slightest hint that that was any part of the story line or any kind of hidden or direct message embedded in the film. Anyone who thinks otherwise after seeing the movie should go back and re-read the gospels and be prepared to back up their claims that Mel pulled the gospel story in that direction.

This was not the most violent movie ever made, as some in the press would have you believe, but it was pretty gruesome at times. And there were a few scenes that shocked me a little more than I expected to be shocked going in. I'll be curious to see how many people take their children with them.

Technically, I noticed no title in the beginning, which I thought was interesting. And also, the crap code on our print is not that bad. I noticed it in the fifth reel, but it wasn't intrusive at all, which we're all very thankful for.

And for those interested in my background, I was born and raised Episcopalian, although I now consider myself a non-denominational Christian.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-22-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot wait to see this film.
quote:
For those who KNOW the Bible, this will be a VERY moving film. For those who don't, I can see many questions that would need to be answered to more fully understand what was just viewed.

Incidentally, for those who find it difficult to take the Bible at face value, there's a great book by Dan Story called "Defending Your Faith" that puts everything in perspective and offers answers to common (but logical) objections. It sure convinced me.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 05:10 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa.......

This was very disturbing....

I saw it yesterday at the employee screening and I just can't describe in words how it made me feel. I am religious but not extreme and I felt the full brunt of this film. There were many moments that shocked me and scared me. To think about the sheer brutality that people are capable of......

In our employee screenings usually we are talking and joking throughout and don't even stay to watch the credits....

Everyone was completely silent and solemn through the movie and when the credits rolled, we all were just....still.

This is going to effect many people on many levels.

I walked into a screening that a church bought out last night and I heard many people weeping and sniffling. This was heavy.

Definitely a 5/5

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David Denby

quote:
"One of the cruelest movies in the history of cinema," says the New Yorker's David Denby in a negative review that also calls the film "a sickening death trip, a grimly unilluminated procession of treachery, beatings, blood and agony."

Critic Denby adds, 'For two hours ... we watch, stupefied as a handsome, strapping, at times half-naked young man is slowly tortured to death. Gibson is thoroughly fixated on the scourging and crushing of Christ and is so meagerly involved in the spiritual meanings of the final hours, that he falls in danger of altering Jesus's message of love into one of hate."

Thankfully we got the Rodger Eber 4-star review in our local paper.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-24-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gibson is thoroughly fixated on the scourging and crushing of Christ and is so meagerly involved in the spiritual meanings of the final hours
That is why it is called the passion meaning the transition under suffering. That Jesus suffered and died for the rest of mankind IS the central spiritual meaning.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen this film but after these reviews I plan to.
A film which affected me much the same as the reviewers here was Jesus Christ Super Star. When I saw it in it's original release it gave me a whole new slant on Christ's message. Although the title is kind of a turn off it really is a wonderful film.
Maybe I'll go this weekend....
Thanks guys

Brett Garten
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Brett Garten   Email Brett Garten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it yesterday morning at screencheck for premiere tonight. German print. A bit smudgy and grainy. Loved the film. A brutal spectacle. Seemed very relevant. Persecution, injustice, prejudice, ignorance. It makes you think. It also makes you cry. Especially the second half.

Had a memo saying no ads, slides or trailers to accompany film - straight to feature. Souvenier booklets with every ticket. Just like the good old days. What was the last film you got a booklet for? And what was the last film to play feature only? Wondering why - to heighten the impact. The last thing you want to see before a movie like this is Coke commercials and a trailer for Agent Cody Banks 2.

Let's not forget Mel's dad is a well-known conspiracy buff here in Australia. It's easy to read the film as a slander to Jews. There's even a scene you could say is gay-bashing. And yes you could agree with Denby and say the film focusses on the gross and gory spectacle of Christ's death. But isn't that what a passion play is all about. Very primal.

It makes this job exciting when you get a unique and powerful film to show. We should be taking up on a crown of thorns.

What do you think?

Lauren Fisher
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 03:19 AM      Profile for Lauren Fisher   Email Lauren Fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw the passion sunday night with a fellow ub and a manager. i have a habit of talking in the middle of the films about stupid things, i did very little in this one. i love the way the movie was done...how when hes going through the brutality of humans some of them remember how they felt and how it was like to meet jesus for the first time. i did well until the lords supper hit and by then i needed a box of tissues.

my parents called me to find out how it was and my advice to peoples is that if you have a weak stomach...dont eat, and bring a box of tissues.

i do believe that this movie will have an impact on not only believers but others as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: