Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bubba Ho-Tep

Author Topic: Bubba Ho-Tep
Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Don Coscarelli, director of Phantasm and The Beastmaster , Bubba Ho-Tep features Bruce Campbell as Elvis Presley and Ossie Davis as JFK--don't ask, you just have to see the movie.

I saw this at a film festival in Durham, NC. If you think Charlize Theron transformed herself to play Aileen Wuornos, wait till you see what Campbell did with Elvis. He deserved an Oscar for the simple fact that it's easy to play Elvis as a stereotype, but Campbell makes him a fully-developed, three dimensional character.

It's billed as a sort of horror/comedy film about a soul-sucking mummy at an East Texas rest home, but it's really a great actor's movie and a meditation on what it means to age and fall into obscurity in a country that idolizes youth & celebrity. One of Campbell's most poignant lines is, "Why didn't fame and money hold off old age and death?"

Unlike the stuff released by Miramax et. al. , this is a true independent film. There are only twenty prints circulating in the entire country. I heard it only cost about a million to make, but tells a better story and is more engaging than 98% of the major releases.

See this movie & smile all the way home.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

|  IP: Logged

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 02-06-2004 03:10 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was so different and weird that I kinda enjoyed it... Makes me wonder who actually thinks of a movie like this... But I wouldn't reccommend paying to see it... Its one of those movies where you accidently catch on late late night cable...

4/10

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: