Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cheaper By The Dozen

Author Topic: Cheaper By The Dozen
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsdown] Not even Steve Martin can save this piece of [bs] . Another attempt by Hollywood to ruin a classic film. I'm sure that America will fall in love with this motion picture despite how bad it is. Remember Nutty Professor??? The only kids that look alike are the twins, otherwise the other 8 kids don't fit in. Hollywood is banking on the clan of TV superstars to make this work. It doesn't. One can only stomach their smiley little faces for a short time. Lots of scenes with boom mikes in them too! Masking will take care of them. Why couldn't this one gone directly to video?????

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-25-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Boom mics are really low! Even the slightest missframe will reveal them. Also for the record, this was a book before it was a movie (either version).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie review forum. Take it here guys.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, you need to reanalyze this film. That's some pretty harsh words for a great family film like this one.

I do agree that it isn't an Oscar contender but it was a nice way to spend 2 hours with my family and leave the real world for a bit.

It had comedy, drama, and even taught a lesson. Nothing is more important than family.

I truly enjoyed the film. It did get boring in a few spots but Steve Martin helped with making me laugh again.

I had very high expectations for this film and it met all of them.

As far as the booms go, I thought it was kind of funny that the director would allow that to be seen. I'm not really sure of the difference between matted and non-matted flat films, but I did notice them through at least 10 different scenes.

I give this movie 3 out of 4 stars

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Essex Green, 1/1/2004, 11:30 AM matinee. Hall #2, attendance ~25-30.

For the past few years I have had a New Year's ritual: Breakfast in the diner, then the first show of the day on the first day of the year. This year I wanted "Super-Size Comedy" after my New Year's meal -- and got it with plenty to spare.

The only ones who remember the first version of Cheaper by the Dozen are the "Film Snobs". The public doesn't give a hoot. They want laughs, a little bit of drama and a moral lesson or two. Ask anyone who watched "The Brady Bunch" on TV while growing up.

quote:
Hollywood is banking on the clan of TV superstars to make this work.
I counted only 2 -- Hilary Duff and Bonnie Hunt. Add Steve Martin from his "King Tut" period [Big Grin] if you must.

And yes, those boom mics showed up! I found them once in R1 and twice in R3. That's because the image was framed too low. The print playing in Essex Green also had plenty of dirt -- maybe they got a print that was sneak-previewed at Thanksgiving. Sound was OK, loud enough to be audible where I was near the back.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to watch this for two reasons.

The opening shot where Steve Martin is running, he runs through what looks like a downtown area. It's Railroad Square in Santa Rosa. In the end where he and the kid get off of the train is also in Railroad Square in Santa Rosa. The joke is that there isn't a train anymore.

When he is running through the countryside is an area in our west county of Sonoma County. It is quite distinctive in a Northern California sort of way. It is in no way Illinois.

One of our employee's sister is supposed to be an extra in it.

The only other thought I had about this film is God, get me the vasectemy now! [uhoh]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked this movie. Image quality was pretty bad though. It had a lot of funny scenes in it. Its not anything great but its a good way to kill a couple hours.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People seem to be giving this film a bad rap...

What is wrong with people today? Do you just want to see blood and gore with no storylines like Cold Mountain? Do none of you have a sense of humor? Sure, there are times when I want to see movies like that, but what is with no comedies anywhere?

These people that I read that say that this film sucks need to relax and take this movie for what it's worth. It is a comedy and thats all it will be...It is updated for the times and wouldn't be the same if the 1950's version was remade. This film has NO curse words in it, it doesn't offend anyone (except for Dylan's mom....what a bitch). It even has a moral at the end of the movie! It is a great film to take kids to. I seem to smile everytime I run this when I see the ending.

My message to all the people who hate this movie, Never read a joke again, never see a comedy again, never laugh again. You probably never have had humor in your adult life and never will...

I upgrade my rating of this film to a 5/5 stars.

The only thing that is wrong are the mics in scenes. (I haven't seen them since I fixed the framing issue in that theatre)

BTW Ian, I looked on IMDB.com and it was shot in Culver City Studios, L.A., Petaluma, and Santa Rosa.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-05-2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it was shot in Culver City Studios, L.A., Petaluma, and Santa Rosa.
Now I am curious to see what scenes were shot in Petaluma... [Smile]

Guess I will have to catch this one...

-Aaron

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was made for simpletons. Get Steve Martin to star in a film and the adults will pay to see it. Get a bunch of somewhat talented tv actors/actresses to star in in, and the kids will want to see it.I'm assuming that was John Landis's kid and Bill Mumy's (Lost in Space-tv series) daughter in it. But, couldn't the producers at least try to get a bunch of kids to look like the parents??? The dog resembles the parents more than the kids. The movie is a combination of rehashed one liners and site gags, absolutely nothing special about the film. To hear the audience laughing about someone puking in the kitchen, and falling in it was not funny.The outakes should have been left on the floor in the editing room. Yes, it will make money, because there really wasn't any other family picture released for Christmas Day. What do ya wanna take the kids to see "Bad Santa"?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out why people HATE this movie.....THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A REMAKE OF THE 1950 VERSION!!!

Get over it...

[ 01-15-2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Richard Greco ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: