Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Cat in the Hat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Cat in the Hat
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2003 11:30 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or more aptly titled....
"More [bs] " at the theatre that will disgust those brave souls and unknowing parents who dare bring thier little angels to see it"

All I can say is Sweet Jesus. Mike Myers sucks much [Moon] to begin with and he certainly lives up to my low expectations in this film.

Not 30 minutes into the film (R2, if I recall) that damn CRAP CODE flashed up and covered damn near the whole freeking screen. The few people screening it with me all asked me what the hell it was.... I told them it was the distributors way of destroying our business from within. [Mad]

Back to the film... I can already see parents coming out complaining about the content and 'innuendos' in the film. SOmething about saying Son-of-a-Beeeeepppppp and making comments about cutting off balls in a PG movie makes me think that either the CARA folks are asleep at the wheel (hey, maybe it's Valenti's relatives there as well [Roll Eyes] )or this industry is slowly demoralizing itself into oblivion.

Bottom line (IMO) is.. this film sucks much ass, as Joe would say.

[thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-21-2003 01:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just substitute my name in place of Jason's and you have my review.

Nicely said, Jason. [thumbsup]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2003 03:14 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is this movie was a Stupid, Horrible, Incredably Terrible movie.

I didn't notice any crap code but the colors were so annoying in the first place the Crap Code probably just blended in.

I give this film 1/2 star out of four. That's only because the torture was limited to 82 minutes.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-21-2003 04:26 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, imaginative and fun. I even had a few good laughs. (Hand sanitizer distributed by "The Incredible Bulk delivery co.")

Then that stupid cat showed up.

BAD BAD BAD . The movie shifts from boring kiddy flick to PG-13 humor rather abruptly, the back again. (Mike Myers makes out, tounge included, with a "Dirty Hoe") His voice is extremely irritating. Myers uses the Coffee lady's voice from SNL through much of the film.

On a technical side, Technicolor has joined the paranoia party along with Deluxe. The crap code is all over this one. Is it me or do the dots keep getting bigger?

Daryl said it.
Stupid, Horrible, Incredably Terrible

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody notice mannerisms from Waynes World and Austin Powers.

I can go back and watch the trailer and see it all over again just as well. At least it is only 2 minutes vs 82.

Paul

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-21-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I've seen is the trailers and that's enough to tell me this is an ill-conceived and lame piece of [bs] . Shame on everyone involved with making it.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote in ad for Cat In The Hat:

[thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Dallas Texas

"Great, imaginative and fun."

Mike Olpin
San Diego, California

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen the film, but the C.I.T.H. tv commercial for McDonalds is downright creepy. I think the character would have worked better in a horror movie.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no desire to even bother seeing this movie. It looks stupid just from the trailers.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anybody notice mannerisms from Waynes World and Austin Powers.

You said it! I was thinking the exact same thing, Austin Powers/DR evil in a cat suit.

I was actually surprised at the crowds that come out for it. Not many little kids, mostly teenagers.

[ 11-21-2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hipp ]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

As predicted, the bitching has begun. I feel obligated to tell anyone who asks about this film how much [Moon] it sucks and teh reasoning behind my feeling.

SO far, of the folks I've warned, I've been right on target 100% of the time.

This film will sink that the rock it is. Too bad that in the meantime it will have siphoned of the misguided perception that it is a kids film !!! [Mad] [Mad]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2003 11:53 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Of course it's going to do well. The Dr Seuss element alone sells the movie. Mike Myers is pretty much a household name and the marketing campaign is pretty good.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it yesterday......OH MY GOD

Finally saw the CRAP code on the 2nd show..really annoying. I didn't like it one bit.

We did sell out for our last matinee and first evening show.
BTW Have any of you had to show Cat in the Hat 6 shows a day?
Ridiculous!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 03:56 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

You mention 6 shows and I see you're in Plant City. By chance, do you work for Carmike?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, yes I do. Did you work for them?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: