Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

Author Topic: Looney Tunes: Back in Action.
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-15-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, whatever. No one put this here so I am. I was screening it basically because I had to but I found it very ammusing. I might actually buy the DVD. I know, its never the same without the original voices but I found it to be entertaining.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this movie for a few reasons:

I have a 4 year old son who enjoyed it.

About 25% of it was filmed right here on Fremont Street, another large percent was filmed around Las Vegas.

I got to meet most of the production staff and they were really nice people.

I did not think the film was all that great, however, it did have some great one-liners in it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a kids movie. This is a movie for 50-year old cartoon geeks like me. This one hit home with me...not quite as much as ROGER RABBIT (I still cry when all the characters come out at the end...sorry, I can't help it!),but its a lot of fun.

This is a reference humor movie. You need to know Warner Cartoons and films in general to get all of the jokes. This thing even has ROBOT MONSTER references! One reference was especially for Scott Norwood. Kevin McCarthy's cameo was very very funny.

I thought the voices were the best since the days of Mel Blanc. Marvin Martian was not good, nor was Father Bear. Two original voices...June Foray as Granny and Stan Freberg as Baby Bear. (OK...Casey Kasem was there quickly as Shaggy, but I don't count that as a Warner Bros. cartoon.) I also immediately recognized Mel's voice as the sound of the car. I was especially surprised by Billy West's Elmer. Mel Blanc never did that voice, as it was done without credit by Arthur Q. Bryan.

Too bad this film didn't do better...it really is quite funny, but I think they should have played up the nostalgia angle and marketed to us old folks. They keep forgetting that we have money to spend on going to the movies, too.

Jenna Elfman is really cute but TOO SKINNY! Gosh...put some weight on, girl.

A surprising superior presentation by the Lennox 24 staff. Very small room, about 100 seats with a 30' screen. Picture was bright and steady, with minimal dirt. Very well balanced sound system with good low end. Only a slight timbre difference between mains and surrounds kept this from being one of the best I've ever seen. Bravo, Lennox.

Lots of the Joe Dante stock company...Dick Miller, Don & Dan Stanton, Robert Picardo...looked like Gremlins II all over again.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 02:48 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2003/11/25 19:30, Carmike 10, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 4 (30 ft. auditorium, 24 ft wide screen in scope mode), Dolby Digital

It was fun seeing all the cartoon characters I loved as a kid in this movie. However, it was not as fun as when I saw them recently in Warner's DVD Looney Tunes set. I would liked to have seen more of the cartoon characters and less of the humans. Brendan Fraser is OK, but I've seen him in too many movies.

The movie is worth seeing if your a fan of the cartoon characters, but don't expect too good a movie and you won't be disappointed.

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2003 08:15 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was funny even though the voices are different from when I was a kid.. Though Shaggy ripping Matthew Lillard for the way he was portrayed was hilarious.... Movie not as good as Roger Rabbit but very enjoyable

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance 28 Dec 2003, Dromana Drive-in Theatre

I thought this film was great and should appeal to most ages but those who are familiar with the original cartoons should get the most value out of it.

For me personally there was a lot I enjoyed. The Fremont St shots brought back a lot of nice memories from my trip to America in 2000 and ditto for the Arizona shots.

The best bit for my money though was seeing Wile E. Coyote ordering stuff over the Internet. It was classic WB cartoons brought into the twenty-first century.

You really need to watch this film several times to get all the jokes. There is so much going on in the background that you easily miss a lot.

I hope this spurs WB to create a whole new series of 35mm WB cartoons but tweaked a bit to bring in lots of recent developments and inventions.

On a more intellectual level the film really shows off the power of american culture. Imagine if you will the political impact that a new Bugs Bunny cartoon would have with Bugs pitted against Osama Bin Laden. The merits or otherwise of this idea is not my point. My point is that such a cartoon would be incredibly influential from a political point of view.

Wo can forget the impact that cartoons had in World War II in motivating the troops and making light of what was a pretty dark period.

http://members.fortunecity.com/goopygeer2/

One of the real strengths of the original cartoons was that the personalities of the cartoons wisecracked their way through the events and culture of the time. This film tries to do the same and succeeds. Here's hoping we will see more films that are true to the original characters whilst keeping the material relevant to our time.

My verdict 8/10. (LTBIA that is)

cheers Peter

[ 12-28-2003, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Peter Berrett ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-27-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed this today and saw bits and pieces of it. Loved the Salvador Dali and other art references. What was the reference specifically intended for me? I may have to go to the discount house and watch the whole thing. It looked fun...much better than I would have expected.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh

I forgot to mention one other highlight of the film.

There is a point in the film where numerous space "baddies" assemble to fight against the good guys.

Stealing the show is two Daleks in full flight - and in a Looney Tunes film too. Absolutely priceless and definently a homage to Dr Who.

cheers Peter

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today and loved it. The animation is great, all characters look so much better than in SPACE JAM, even the story line is OK, and the human actors are fine, too.

If I had to complain, it would be about getting too much of a good thing. The movie reminds me of the great 1938 short YOU OUGHT TO BE IN PICTURES where Daffy makes Proky Pig tear his cartoon contract with Leon Schlesinger!

The kids in the theatre had fun, but naturally they couldn't laugh at the many asides and quotes that animation buffs will love. To me, LT: BACK IN ACTION was great fun and maybe I will see it again.

If you look for story or dislike the old Warner shorts - don't go see it! If you liked ROGER RABBIT (more of a stylish movie, I admit), you may enjoy this one.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a great acid trip, without the acid. Loved the Daleks from Dr. Who showing up unexpectedly!!! EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: