Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Elf (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Elf
Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I really expected ELF to be a real stinker, but I actually liked it very much. Will Ferrell is hilarious as the misguided elf that goes to New York to find his dad. I loved all of the CG animation while he is in the North Pole. It reminded me of all those 60's christmas shows that are all classics now. Even the opening credits have that sort of feel.

Will plays an elf named Buddy, who just is a big 30 year old kid (like so many of us). Just wait for the scene when he sits down to eat spaghetti, and all of the toppings he adds. This movie is definitely geared toward families and kids. I saw it at an advance screening and the audience went wild for this film. There is a scene were everyone in the film sings "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". I thought for sure the audience was going to start singing too.

This is just one of those warm and fuzzy hoilday movies. If you aren't into that, you might want to skip this one. Although you will be missing out on some funny stuff. Go and enjoy!

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear it is actually a pretty good movie. Every time I see a preview for it, I think "Oh no! Not again!". I might actually see it now when it comes out.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I agree to a point with the first comment... and that point is about the end of the first reel. The beginning in the North Pole was very funny and the 60's Christmas characters at the North Pole made me think - this could be good. But after Buddy arrived in NY - it went all downhill. Was a very painful hour after that to sit through. Even with low expectations, I was still dissapointed. And just think we got this instead of Return of the King [Mad]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hated this film so much that I actually contemplated throwing fruit at Will Farrel at Show East. [thumbsdown] [puke]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

I'm with you! I don't care for Will Ferrel anyway, but I decided to give this one a go because the wife wanted to see it. Instead of watching the movie, I found myself dazing off into what else I should be, or could be doing. The spaghetti scene was different but aside from that.... [puke] [sleep]

A BIG FAT [thumbsdown]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 01:02 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Ferrell fan, but still wasn't expecting much here. There were a few funny moments, but for the most part the movie was just boring. I did not really care about the characters or what they were doing. James Caan, a great actor, just didn't have much to work with. He looked frustrated just to be in the movie! Anyhow, the kids might like it, but don't quote me on that one. Too bad that Ferrell's talent was wasted here. He truly is a funny man.

AJG

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ain't no Santa Clause 2, that's for sure!!! Gotta love my english! I had a hard time sitting still for 97 minutes. I found it very boring, very slow paced, and not too funny. Granted, there were a few belly laughs, but 90% of the movie was DULL. It will be interesting to see how it does this weekend. I don't see it having any staying power like Santa Clause 2. That film packed them in everyday of the 7 weeks that we ran it. Elf looks like a dud, I can't see any family enjoyment in it, unless you're braindead. Gee, two bad films in one week.....Matrix and Elf.

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2003 05:58 AM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the humor, or lack of at certain parts got very dull. I think this film will do business. Will Farrel draws.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The only amusing parts in the movie is in the trailer, and they are far and few to be found. I think a certain age bracket of children will find this movie funny, but only for the sake of seeing a grown-up act like a kid. The joke wears off fast...really fast and we are left with nothing more than a stupid movie.

By the way, it looks like Deluxe has changed their CRAP code a little bit for this movie. The dots were even MORE obnoxious than before! Fortunately it seemed their frequency wasn't quite as much.

Death to the Deluxe CRAP code!!! [fu]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-08-2003 03:55 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hated this film so much that I actually contemplated throwing fruit at Will Farrel at Show East.
Instead, why don`t you make a movie which is much funnier than this and shame him in this way?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-08-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the second half of this movie last night and I think it just about met with my expectations. The climax in/around New York's Central Park was very satisfying and the climax is usually the raison d'etre for the Fish Out of Water and Christmas Hero subgenres.

But I have to agree that ELF isn't a perfect movie. My main complaint would have to be that the film is narratively disjointed -- possibly due to the NSL sketch mentality -- and some of the interpersonal relationships seem to blossom too easily between Buddy and others. This is especially true when it comes to his kid brother and the mail room co-worker, neither of whom seems to like Buddy at first.

Now I need to see the beginning.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-08-2003 03:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn`t beginning and end the same in the endless continuity of the universe?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, that's twice in this one thread you have posted comments without offering a review of the movie. Do not post here if you do not have a review to add.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-09-2003 02:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry! Well, I liked it because it was silly and entertaining, but I also thought they could have made more of the idea than the usual stuff where he gets into trouble or people think he behaves weird because he doesn`t know better. I liked details like the animations of the animals waiving him goodbye - they reminded me of Russian and Czekh children`s movies I watched as a kid.
Maybe the whole movie would indeed have been funnier with Ian as The Elf, though.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's has Zooey Deschanel in it. So I reserve the right to see it at least 3 times. [Smile] *swoons* Oh Zooey.....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: