Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Author Topic: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this film has been on video for many years, but I got a chance to see it once again on the Giant (very giant) screen at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood last night. This was another film I had seen as a kid and laughed a lot of, and it was gratifying to see so many people enjoying themselves last night.

There are some scenes that fall flat today, but overall it's still a hell of a show.

The presentation had its oddities. The Dome was projecting a true Ultra-Panavision 70 print and went out of its way to make sure the full image was projected. But in so doing they went a bit TOO far to show the entire frame. Lens refraction and negative splices were consistently seen on both the top and bottom of the screen. And unlike the usual reverse-curve cut-off at the bottom of the screen, they masked the screen in an upward curve starting in the center. And as the top making was brought down several feet from what is normal for 70mm at this venue, it looked like they were truly projecting the entire frame width. I double checked some scenes from the DVD, and it was clear there was considerably more image shown here (the best example: when all the characters are shot from below looking into the hole they just dug. On the DVD whole characters are missing on the sides. They are ALL here on the print.

The print quality was generally excellent, with no sign of color fading. The original Todd-AO format sound was retained through the use of DTS special-venue format (5 stage, mono surround).

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-21-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The print quality was generally excellent, with no sign of color fading.
I recall that this was one of the films on Robert Harris' list of films most deserving/needing restoration:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/madworld/mad.html

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/022701htfchat.html

http://www.negativecutting.com/restoration.php3

Who was involved in the 70mm version being shown at the Cinerama Dome?

It's been a good year for bringing back "The Splendor of 70mm". Let's hope it continues:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2002/los_angeles/super_movies.htm

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the problems shown in the articles reference had to do with the original 194 minute roadshow version and Harris' attempts to restore this version. What is currently being shown is the general release cut (actually, this cut replaced the longer version early on in the roadshow release).

I really don't know, though, what elements were used to make this specific print. I think it was done by MGM, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: