Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

Author Topic: Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Employee Screening, AMC Tallahassee Mall 20, House 12, SDDS.
I liked this movie, although it did have a tendancy to drag out the real story...this is loosly based on the real thing; but for a re-make, not too bad. Of course the original was awesome, but this was pretty good. Sounded great in one of our 250 person auditoriums, but I tought this movie was going to be in Scope...it would have been a lot better as our screen in that theater is huge while in scope.

I don't want to travel to Texas now, and I'm always going to keep my cell phone with me. Our print delivery guy is from Texas and he has been to the mansion where is all supposedly happend.

***Spoilers***
How about Drill Instructor Hartman from Full Metal Jacket, that was beautiful.

You saw his face way too early in the film!!

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been led to believe that the movie isn't based on anything that happened in Texas but rather on the actions of Ed Guien, who unfortunately resided in Wisconsin.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
07/16/03, Famous Players Capitol 6, Cinema 5, possibly Dolby Digital.

The original TCM was an original movie. This movie seemed to " borrow " elements from other horror movies, especially the ending. Whether or not these existed in the original, I can't remember, it's been awhile since I last saw the original. It does provide the scares and Lee Ermey does an awesome job as usual as the Sheriff.

Presentation Wise: From the New Line logo till the opening " Texas Chainsaw Massacre " title, we missed the entire dialog in the B&W footage due to a sound problem. Only the Sub track was playing. When the sound finally was corrected, the audience booed loudly. Also, the reel 3 to 4 change was greeted with an emulsion scratch.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-17-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lack of creativity for a movie that is a remake of an original film. Not saying that the original was great but at least it was creative for the time and money in 1974. This one just bored me. R. Lee Ermey was good in the sherrif role. * star out of four.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie breaks my streak of good movies. It is not bad. Still it is very forgettable. It is no better than any of the typical slasher movies. They even made Leatherface more like Jason. The only difference is that we dont get to hear the cool "shik shik shaaaa" Jason theme music.

WHat I hated about the movie
1) No signature scenes that would make you remember the movie. The original had many. The dining scene. The screaming banshee victim jumping out of the house. The screaming banshee woman getting up the truck clumsily with the assistance of a confused trucker while Leatherface spins away with his chainsaw. And then the first door slam by leatherface. In the remake, the door slam intro doesn't have much of an impact.

2) Forgettable music score and the look: Very by the numbers. The look was similar to a nine inch nails video or any other Mark Romanek video. Actually, it wasnt even that good with the grungy color tone they used for lesser grunge rock videos.The result was that it ended up looking like a lot of slasher flicks.

3) Leatherface removing the mask. Was there really a need?

4) Ending: they just show Biel driving away. It just seemed tapered off.

I thought the Texas Chainsaw sequel with Renee Zelwegger was no worse than this and had at least had some fun cheesy scenes with Renee screaming at her best.

Strictly a DVD rental.

What was good? Lee Ermey. Oh, also Jessica Biel's lowriders and T shirt.

By the way, I noticed a lot of families with lil kids in the audience. I am pretty libertanian with respect to kids watching slasher movies. I watched a lot when i was 9 and 10. But then not every kid is made out for this. I agree with Tarantino about kids trying to get into Kill Bill. But Texas Chainsaw should be a movie you allow a kid to watch only if the guy is really into this genre and he is not the type to get influenced by movies. It is a lot more of a cynical and trashy movie. I don't think the parents even thought twice about those issues. One stupid mom was even making comments during the movie like she was with her friends when she was seated next to her lil kids. I wanted Leatherface to take her out.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-19-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is in fact loosely based on the events of serial murderer Ed Gein. Ed Gein was the inspiration for other such genre books and film such as "Psycho" and "The Silence Of The Lambs".

Look up this guy Ed Gein, who never resided in Texas. Although a film on him specifically was made, it was not made for wide theatrical release.

Ciao

Dave

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2003 08:41 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the places that were in the first TCM were in the Round Rock area, with the Graveyard scene in Leander and the Gas staion scene is on the road between Bastrop and Gonzalez Texas. All the houses in the original are now gone the Frankilin place burned shortly after the movie was made and Leatherfaces house was moved from it site a few years ago and is now a resturaunt in Kingsland Texas. The county road in the end of the movie has been reloacted on a different alignment, but can still be seen as can the foundation of the Frankiln place overlooking what is now state highway 45 in Round Rock. incidently teh loaction of Leatherfaces house is about where the Barnes and Noble is on 1325/SH45. incidently all this info can be found by doing a google search for te title and looking through the web pages. Someone has all this info on one page. Intresting reading. Also Thenew version was shot entirely in Williamson county which is where Round Rock is. The Blair Meat plant in this case looks really close to the Taylor Meat Company in Taylor Texas. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awfull film, not in any way remotely frightning. Not even any "cool" special effect gore to keep you happy. The girl blowing her brains out at the beginning saw the highlight of the film, turning progressively wors after that.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin and Dave are correct. TCM and Psycho were based on Ed Giem. You can look him up on the internet. The Discovery /History Channel has don a piece on him.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: