Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Intolerable Cruelty

Author Topic: Intolerable Cruelty
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2003 07:24 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a great film. But it sure is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Very funny, with more surprises than I expected. It certainly veered off the predictable course a few times.

George and Catherine are wonderful together. George is just so likeable. And Catherine Zeta-Jones is certainly one of the prettiest actresses out there. She isn't the big bombshell, but her face is a pretty as any I've ever seen. Something about those little corners on her mouth...

Good supporting characters, especially Weezy Joe and Heinz, the Baron Krauss von Espy.

There is a odd thing in the middle of the credits. Something about "Hello Hands"? Anyone have a clue about that?

This is a good couple film. It's very pleasant and very entertaining. It won't win any awards, but I think you'll be glad you saw it.

Nice to see something fun. Fall is filled with so many depressing "serious" movies.

|  IP: Logged

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2003 11:56 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Coen Bros added some nice touches to what could have been a very forgettable movie. George Clooney was hilarious. Catherine Zeta Jones should give a big bonus to her makeup artist for making her look younger. You do have to remember that the Coen Bros didn't write the script. So there is only so much control they have over the direction this movie is headed.

You won't get bored. But this is probably something that you could wait for the DVD release.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend I had more than my fair share of people that walked out on this film. It's weird because that did not happen last weekend.... They just said the movie was a major stinker.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Destinta Theatres, New Windsor NY, 10/18, 5 PM show. Hall #11, attendance ~15.

"A major stinker"? Intolerable Cruelty has the stuff movies should be made of. If this were real life people would be talking all about it.

Besides, who can resist that handsome George Clooney? Give him an Oscar -- he knows how to play a crafty divorce lawyer! Put someone like Russell Crowe in that part and the movie would tank.

I did nearly walk out because the show started out of frame and it took almost forever to hunt down a theater employee. How could I tell the show was out of frame? Letterboxed trailers (The Last Samurai, Love Actually) with the top bar missing. Once I was back in the hall I could see the image being racked to its proper position -- during the Universal logo.

I do give credit to the booth for building the print to avoid repeated audio at the R5 > R6 changeover (per Brad). Sound was excellent; I swear it was DTS but it may have been Dolby Digital.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-21-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this movie. It was just pure fun. Sure it isn't Fargo, but not every film can be. Just because Joel and Ethan Cohen did amazing work doesn't mean that they can't just do some work that is just fun!

I think people just are too wound up tight. I thought I would hate this movie, got dragged to it, and loved it.

So Ciao.

Dave

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this film better than I thought I would. The story is really original with lots of twists and turns. Though the preview trailer doesn't give the film away, I wished I had walked into the show cold. Clooney is great and Zeta-Jones is, well, fascinating. Give me this kind of comedy over Austin Powers any day.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2003 01:31 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very smart and entertaining comedy. Clooney and Zeta-Zones were perfect for their roles. Also, I didn't notice any repeated audio from 5 to 6. The film was running in DTS if that counts. Reccomended.

AJG

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressed. Much more querky than I was expecting. Very funny. Very clever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: