Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » School of Rock

Author Topic: School of Rock
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-05-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10/05/2003, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene, 12:35PM, house #3, SR-D. Attendance about 50. Generally excellent presentation, noticed a couple dropouts to analog but probably a faulty print.

I loved this movie. It was made-to-order for Jack Black, and I swear he's improvising his lines half the time. At least some of the kids are apparently real musicians and played their own music for the score. Yeah! The audience seemed to thoroughly enjoy this, and it's the only film I can recall seeing where the ENTIRE audience remained seated for the ENTIRE credit roll. A solid *** out of **** from me, maybe *** 1/2 if you twist my arm. A very good film for families with kids aged in the double-digits. I have no idea either why this got a PG-13 because it is very pro-all the right things. [thumbsup]

[ 10-05-2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

|  IP: Logged

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the movie and this would be a good family film for those parents sick of watching Disney movies. Jack Black is his usually funny self. However, if you have seen all of Black's TV stuff, then this movie will probably be just more of the same.

I have seen a lot of the Tenacious D stuff, so this was just more of the same for me making it worthwhile viewing but not a must see in the theater.

If you are not amused by Black on TV or his stuff in Hi Fidelity, then you may not like this movie though he does tone down his act a little bit.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2003/11/11 19:15, Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 6 (32 foot width), Flat (21 foot width screen in flat mode)

I enjoyed this movie. However, you have to turn your brain off to believe what happens.

First of all, there is no way that rock music could be played in that classroom without everyone in neighboring classrooms and possibly everyone in that whole hall hearing it, even if attempts were made to "soundproof the classroom".

Second, what are the odds that every single person in the class will have some sort of talent useful for a band? What are the odds of finding an excellent guitar player and an excellent piano player out of a single class?

Third, how would a group of kids around age 10 keep their project a secret? Kids like to talk to other kids about what they do. The minute one of these kids told a kid from another class, word of it would spread like wildfire. Other kids would be upset that they were having to do regular classwork. Can you beleive not one student told their parents about the project or that not one parent noticed the difference in the pattern of homework, etc? The kind of parents portrayed in the movie would be the ones that would notice the lack of homework after one or two days and know that something unusual was going on.

In real life, what Dewey Finn did would probably have gotten him locked up for quite a while. I can believe that he managed to make the person asking for him at school to hire him think that he was Ned Schneebly and be able to go in and teach, since he was a known substitute teacher in the school system. However, I think that other teachers and the principal would have quickly realized by talking to him that he was not suitable for a teacher by just listening to him talk.

And at the end, all the parents are suddenly happy when they hear their children playing the rock music. I'm sure at least one would have still been unhappy and would have sued.

Yes, it was a nice movie and was fun in a lot of ways, but there is no way it could have ever happened.

Just park your brain and enjoy!

By the way, I found the Patty character (Ned's girlfriend) extremely annoying. Who would want a girlfriend if she was going to be like that?

The presentation was good. Aperture shadow was present on the right and bottom edges, but there were no other defects I noticed.

The entire audience (all 3 of us) stayed for the entire credits. The reason is no mystery. During the entire credit roll, you see Dewey with the kids performing a song.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-13-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 639 days since the last post.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-13-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I liked this film too. All of what Evans has said is true...the premise is impossible though the odds of having capable musicians in a class is certainly possible. There is always (at least in my public elementary school) kid that can play piano...normally not rock but put sheet music in front of them and it could be played. There is normally a kid by that age that is playing guitar though that would be the hard one..the kid that can play guitar well as this one (and he came from a guitar playing family). Likewise, there is probably a drummer in the works by 5th grade. I know at all of my elemenatry school talent shows there was a 6th grade rock band of sorts which normally had guitar and drums and depending on the year other pieces. By 7th grade, the pool has indeed grown such that a full rock band or two have formed.

I was VERY impressed to see that the kids played their own instruments. Apparantly, that is how they started the cast selection...was that they knew how to play first. The Bass player was the weakest and the keyboard player was clearly not a Rocker.

This is a fun film 3* out of 5 from me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: