Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » KILL BILL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: KILL BILL
Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I hope this review isn't too early, and I noticed that we can post after the trade screenings. I saw KILL BILL at a press screening, so I hope that counts. If not, feel free to remove this post, and I apologize for any problems.

For me, KILL BILL is easily Tarantino's best work to date. You have never seen action like this in your life. In fact, I saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO a couple days after seeing BILL and was bored to tears.

I can only remember about 3 gunshots in the film, and the rest is swordplay. And believe me, Tarantino loves to use those heavy-duty blood sprinklers anytime someone is stabbed or beheaded. You will see just about every type of violence in this film, including the anime sequence (which is fantastic). I could not believe this film escaped with an R-rating. This has NC-17 written all over it. In fact, there are a couple scenes that I wonder if they were changes to avoid that very thing.

Uma is dead on in this movie! I felt like I had my ass kicked after watching it. Not to give too much away, but don't look for Michael Madsen in this one. His big role will come in Volume 2. Sonna Chiba is awesome as the Man from Okinawa. I loved when everyone started to speak Japanese, totally cool. And, I never have liked Lucy Liu, but her performance as the drug-syndicate leader is...wow.

I LOVED THIS FILM! I loved every frame, every second! The only thing that pisses me off is that I have to wait until October 10 to see it again. And believe me, that is exactly where I will be.

One other thing...I will be curious to hear about how many walk-outs you all receive because of this film. I felt myself getting a little queezy, especilly at the film's opening sequence. Chances are, the real Tarantino fans will go nuts for this film. Watch for those who have no idea what they are about to see to walk out. And those that like action films will be forever changed.

Thanks everyone for your time. Enjoy KILL BILL!!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-30-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film is officially rated R. I have not seen the film yet so I don't know the extent of the violence but it does not suprise me that the film did not get an NC-17 rating. Now if there was strong sexual content also in the film then it would have been rated NC-17. People have become desensitized with violence to the point that you have to get extreemly shocking for anyone to care.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading some where that Quentin did not want to cut anything out so that's why it was split into 2 parts.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 06:45 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, OK.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
He said "Uma is dead on in this movie!", not "Uma is dead in this movie!"

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-30-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember reading some where that Quentin did not want to cut anything out so that's why it was split into 2 parts.

| IP:

That's true but it's because he felt he had a lot of good footage and did not want to compromise the film. Not because he was trying to avoid the NC-17 rating.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-30-2003 09:09 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was slplit in two part because it is five hours long, not to avoid an NC-17 rating. It just happens that as it is split into two parts, it avoids a massive total tally that puts it into the nc-17 realm. That is just the side effect.

I am anxious to see this film.

Dave

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, did you see only volume 1, or both volumes? I'm now even more pumped than ever. Miramax should pay you for the good publicity!

AJG

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I read, the two parts will not even be close to 5 hours long. You are not really gaining much time by splitting it into two parts. INstead of one 3 hour plus movie, you are getting two 90+minute movies.

Guess who suggested this move - Harvey.

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 08:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's more toward three hours total I think. Volume one was only about 100 minutes or so. And yes, that is the one I saw. I don't think I will be lucky enough to see Volume 2 until next year.

And by the way...BE SURE TO STAY after the "written and directed" credits. There is an epilogue, and some scenes from 2. And there is a HUGE plot twist given away that will have you killing Tarantino for making you wait until February.

Something that was pointed out to me that I thought was interesting was the dates these are being released on:

VOLUME ONE: 10/10
VOLUME TWO: 02/20

Ones and twos.

And, I agree with the comment about being de-sensitized to violence. This film would NEVER play as well in Europe as it will here. I wished that America could embrace the sexual content of film and TV more instead of the violence. We might not be in so many wars. [Smile] But that's another subject all together.

I look forward to hear what you guys have to say about KILL BILL. Just be prepared to have a shock or two.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The running time of Volume One is 110mins.

Just wait till you see Volume Two, it's much more fun.
[Big Grin]

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2003 11:13 AM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to see the bootleg trailer that is off the CD soundtrack. You will see more clips from the film, including part of the Anime sequence:

KILL BILL Bootleg Trailer

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-01-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was more than Harvey's suggestion, it was his order. Anyone who knows anything about Mirimax is that NOTHING happens there without his stamp of approval, and he is well known for doing whatever it takes to make as much money as possible.

I apologize for typing the "5" on the hour tally. It is in fact "3" hours long. It was cut for that reason, as given by Harvey, but the real reason if you know Harvey is that he likes money.

Dave

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-01-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um Dave you spelt the word five. [Razz] [Smile]

I would say it is probably close to four hours since the first one is 110 mins long.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-01-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, oops. [Big Grin]

I am also on heavy medication too. [thumbsup]

I will rack it up to major brain fart in both instances, with a slight twinge of goofy juice on the side. [Roll Eyes]

Dave [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: