Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Robin Hood

Author Topic: Robin Hood
Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the recently restored release of Robin Hood. The trailer had really soft focus and what little I saw of the print, the beginning looked soft focus too. It was originally technicolor and I would have expected a nice sharp picture even on the trailer. The Bugs Bunny cartoon they sent with the feature has a nice sharp image however [Razz]

----added----
It's a shame the originals were not sharp. The lack of sharpness was kind of distracting for me on the large screen I saw. The colors do look good and on a smaller screen this should look outstanding.

[ 09-28-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Edward Jurich ]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-27-2003 08:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a digital restoration, very well done, but limited by today's technology:

http://www.filmforum.com/films/robinhood.html

The red record on 3-strip was surprisingly unsharp compared to modern films -- the image had to go through another piece of film, and so was diffused:

http://widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/technicolor7.htm

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-28-2003 03:39 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A special two disc edition on DVD of "ROBIN HOOD" will be released on Tuesday and word is out at the various DVD websites that the picture quality is awesome. Beside the movie, there will be a very interesting documentary on the history of three strip Technicolor. Another nice feature the DVD will have is 'A night at the movies' mode where you can select this feature and watch the movie exactly as it was presented in theatres with an actual newsreel, animated short(s) and trailers of films that were released about the same time as "ROBIN HOOD". Warner Brothers also did this many years ago with some of their VHS tapes of classic movies and I enjoyed the concept very much.

-Claude

[ 09-28-2003, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 07:28 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That documentary on Technicolor will also include processes leading up to the 3 strip, including an amazing clip of the Marx Brothers filmed in Multicolor during a rehearsal for the film version of Animal Crackers! It originally aired on TCM. I can't wait!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: