Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kiss Me Kate

Author Topic: Kiss Me Kate
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 02:34 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the film is out on video, but I saw it on FILM in 3-D at the Egyptian theatre tonight. And I hope Robert Rodriquez attended the showing. If so, he can take back all his crap about his bright colors and superior 3-D technology (yechhh!) If he wanted to see TRUE bright, rich colors he only needed to use 50's dual 35mm Polarized 3-D technology (I THINK this may have been an authentic old IB Technicolor print, but am not sure.).

Kiss Me Kate is one of the few 3-D films I've seen that actually works in 2-D. Entertaining performances by the entire cast, really great dance numbers which the camera tracks (instead of constant edits as is the norm today), witty music lyrics, etc.

There's been some discussion about part of the image being cropped on home video. Well, the projected image was definitely off center on the left side (even the intermission side was slammed to the left of the center of the frame). This was the only flaw to a mostly perfect presentation. An added 3-D cartoon: Lumberjack Rabbit preceeded the show and a live Q&A with Kathryn Grayson and Tommy Rall.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not dye-transfer. Print was struck about 2 years ago... the "missing scenes" were struck 2 weeks ago and inserted into the print. The film was shot full aperture; the sound track on the left side "crops" the film somewhat. Warners rectified the titles only, not the rest of the film. This would NOT be a problem on a corrected DVD, however.

Jeff

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I helped a local theater run KISS ME KATE about 20 years ago in 2-strip. All of us noticed a "watery" appearance...it wasn't a focus problem, but there was some kind of inconsistency that gave an appearance of looking through hot air that is rising. It wasn't a shutter timing problem, as we checked that, and it didn't appear on DIAL M or FEATHER RIVER.

Did anyone notice this at the showings in LA, or was it likely the print we had?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Everything looked fine.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hot air rising effect may have been just that. It can be observed at the Park Theatre in Vancouver.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: