Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Matchstick Men

Author Topic: Matchstick Men
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure what to think about this judging from the trailers, but I walked out of it fairly well satisfied. While this is not a masterpiece of cinema, it is definitely entertaining for what it is. Nicolas Cage gave a very good performance with all of his "ticks" (a little too believeable at some times) and the rest of the cast did nicely too. Well photographed, good sound mix and with one short exception where it got unnecessarily corny for about a minute and a half, the movie flowed well.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-12-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it moderately entertaining. Certainly very professionally made. But too slow and the way the story unfolds - there is no way to comment on that in detail without spoiling it completely - is really surprising, but it is just too unlikely.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2003 11:28 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good but a bit slow. Should have been about a reel shorter.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was not what I expected. I avoided this until last week, thinking it would be sentimental crap, father meets daughter and changes. Well, I was wrong. While Nicholas Cage can irritate me at times he was OK here. Photography was nice. Unfortunately, the theatre's SDDS unit went on a spaz attack for the entire last two reels, cutting in and out every few seconds!
No noticable CRAP code though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: