Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Party Monster

Author Topic: Party Monster
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laemmle Sunset 5, midnight, opening day 9-5-03. This and all previous shows sold out.

Huge crowd. My friend and I arrived early, around 815 to buy tickets to the 9:30 show to find it was sold out till midnight!

Presentation: boooo, hisss! Trailers came on about 1/2 perf out of frame<this film is flat>. Then the focus shifted for the rest of the trailers, and remained soft throughout the feature. Misframing lopped the tops of some heads off. I emailed the theatre about this the next day, only to be told "we're one of the few theatres in LA employing a full time projectionist". HA! I think he started the film running at midnight, then went home to go to bed.

The feature itself was good, but not great. The first hour of the film was filed with great music, great costumes and wild makeup. [Big Grin]
The acting was very campy and over the top.

The last 2 reels of the film dragged on, making me wish they had edited down the gruesome ending to the final reel, and expanded the party/club scenes in the begining.

I was surprised at the lack of sex in this film; films for the arthouse crowd are usually full of it! Even a scene in which a kiss was about to take place was cut off right when the two characters were about 1" apart from each other. Weird!

As far as characters go, I must say Christina was my favourite, too bad she's not around very long. The scene where she is the driver the for the "big rig truck dance party" is unforgetable.

I'd see it again, but in focus and in frame! This is in very very limited release, at this time the film is only playing at a total of 8 theatres. [Confused]

Danny

|  IP: Logged

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at the Edinburgh festival, and I thought it was great. Yes, the acting all round was way over the top, but I thought both Culkin and Green were impressive.

Released in the UK on September 26th, but it's extremely limited. Don't expect many multis to play it. One to buy on DVD for me though.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only wish that it was playing here in Milwaukee. It's coming but not for a few weeks or so. I've read the book CLUBLAND and seen the documentary on cable. Looks like Seth Green really got into his character. Gotta love 'em. [Big Grin]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it over the weekend while in Chicago. Played at Landmark's Century theatre. Movie was funny, music was great. Only about 40 patrons for the 9pm screening. Print was in terrible shape for only the 2nd weekend run. Tons of black lines and abrasive scratches on it. I hope that this isn't the print that is coming to Milwaukee! Seth Green was soooo, gay:)!

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 12-30-2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this movie the other day... It totally sucked... really bad acting, bad script.. and I could have shot it better with my digital camcorder. Plus the story was a waste and it was only like 88 or 86 minutes long, which could have been 5 minutes.. I would have enjoyed it as a student short film, meaning that the student would be 13.

0.5/5

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was AWFUL! Characters were annoying and it proved Macaulay Culkin can't act. Seth Green needs to stick to the straight roles. Script went on and on and on way too long...and then it just went on further. I had a headache and felt ill after having to sit through this!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: