Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Once Upon A Time in Mexico (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Once Upon A Time in Mexico
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mild spoilers ahead, but trust me they won't damage your moviegoing experience with this one.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Well what can I say? Robert Rodriguez, you suck!!!

Shame on you for taking such great films as El Mariachi and Desperado and making this "sequel" which is just plain godawful. Almost immediately I found myself not caring about ANY of the characters. Let them all live, kill them all, I don't care, why am I watching this?

The film was shot on high definition video...and it really looks like video! Episode II at least while it was video-ish in some scenes and reasonably film-like in others as a whole looked decent. This looks like a S-VHS camcorder tape. Pay particular attention to the forced oversaturated colors in this movie. Pay particular attention to the "clipped" highlights where the digital camera was overexposing a shot or a background. Pay particular attention to the incredible white balancing that was obviously forgotten about on a few scenes. Pay particular attention to the fact that there is really no good contrast in the image. Pay particular attention to the fact that the movie cannot be focused because it is so blurry. No wait, scratch all of that. You won't need to pay any particular attention to this because it is all painfully obvious and just looks amateurish. Heck, even Spy Kids 3D looked better than this!

And you know, even though this was shot on video is no excuse for some of the flat out terrible composition on a LOT of the shots.

We have El Mariachi himself (Antonio Banderas for those who did not see Desperado) who while still doing a good job of looking cool, looks like a doof during much of this due to Rodriguez's graduation from the school of Michael Bay Filmmaking Academy. Could we possibly shake the camera a little bit more? How about making cuts only a few frames long? Perhaps those could be trimmed down another frame while we are at it. No, let's zoom in REALLY CLOSE and shake the camera and only edit in 4 frames of a shot. Yeah! To make it even more exciting, let's constantly change the audience's angle back and forth so that these mess of jump cuts cannot be followed too closely. Yeah, this is definitely a great way to make a film! Michael Bay would indeed be proud.

Hmmm, what is a Michael Bay film without a terrible Jerry Bruckheimer sound mix to go with it...no worries, this film has a terrible sound mix. Just plain terrible. Even right off of the bat the surrounds will be annoying, for when there is sound in the surround field, it is overly loud, poorly placed and distracting. When there is not, hey where did the surround go? Dialogue does not sound crisp and warm, but rather like a 2 way stage speaker with the low frequency cabinet disconnected. It would appear someone did some EQing to the top end of the voices, for they were just too crisp to be natural. Of course the best sound comes from the fabulous dubbed scenes and overly dramatic (and equally lame) music score. Ugh, deaf people will definitely enjoy this film much moreso than those patrons who have their hearing.

Salma Hayek does a great job at the beginning of the movie doing her Charlie's Angels impression for about 20 seconds, then just about disappears for the rest of the show.

Johnny Depp is riveting as a look-alike Michael Jackson who has his eyes removed, dresses in leather with gloves and pays a boy to hold his hand and guide him around. Seeing Johnny Depp like that is definitely worthy of a nightmare as I sleep tonight.

Ruben Blades brings to us the Ed Woodiness of this movie, by narrating every singe damn thing he is thinking and seeing. Yes indeed, thank God for Ruben Blade's character! Otherwise no one would be able to follow this lame story. No wait, no one cares anyway.

Cheech Marin died in the first movie, but is back in the flesh for this one where he of course dies again. I'm sure he will be back for the next sequel.

Danny Trejo also returns as a living guy who died in Desperado. Hmmm, it would appear Robert Rodriguez is having trouble finding actors!

Willem Dafoe is just annoying. His character serves no point to this movie because no one cares about the plot line anyway.

If you actually want to kill 2 hours of your life and go to see this piece of shit, be prepared to laugh out loud during reel 5 as one of the mariachis demonstrates his flame throwing guitar case. The fire is BLATANTLY cgi! I'm talking I have NEVER EVER seen such bad cgi in my life! Not even SouthPark has this bad of cgi!!! I don't even think George Lucas would permit such horrific use of cgi. Of course after this demonstration, suddenly everyone is bursting into flames so Robert can show off the awesomeness of his new cgi flame effect. Ugh!

This movie sucks, sucks, sucks! 1/4 star out of 5. The only reason I am not giving it 0 starts out of 5 is because there was no "bullet time" effect.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 08:16 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about the silly credits at the beginning.

The over saturation explains why the trailer looked so crappy. Thought it was poorly printed and tried a different one weeks back.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm lucky. I missed the credit sequence. I was upstairs desperately trying to figure out how a perfectly clean lens could've gotten so smudged between thread-ups and making sure someone did not play jack-around with the amplifier gain settings. (Of course the lens and gain settings were fine.)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film is that bad, it will find it's way to home video much quicker than other films. Because it was shot in digital, it should look great on DVD like "STAR WARS/EPISODE II" did when it's shabby looking theatrical film presentation looked awesome on that home video format.

-Claude

[ 09-11-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Claude S. Ayakawa ]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 06:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't see where you are coming from about the picture Brad. Yes, it was shot on video just like EPII and Spy Kids 2 and 3 but I felt this picture looked much better than those titles. I think Rodriguez wants it to look the way it did. Mexico is a fairly warm country and this film had a very warm feel to it. I felt as if it put me into Mexico with the characters. Did you maybe get a bad print? Sure, there was no grain but again I think it was intended. I had never seen such a crisp and clear picture in the particular auditorium we screened the film in.

I do agree on the sound mix however. To me, it was WAY too bright on the top end. I noticed right off the bat the difference between the trailers and this film. Overall channel separation was good, with some nice LFE but the brightness of this track killed it. For the record, I watched it in SRD.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it. To me, this film wasn't a sequel or prequel, but just a film within this world that happens to have all our favorite characters. So what if it doesn't follow Desperado or El Mariachi directly. So what if dead characters came back. This film is nothing more than a fun, pop corn flick. For what it is, this film was good.

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way I happened to get 6 defective reels, Aaron. Each reel is printed at different times on different days, then assembled into composite prints. It just looked bad to me. (Let's not get off into a tangent about technical stuff that belongs in FHF everyone.)

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 02:28 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened it tonight, and although I think that the movie was good; it didn't look right to me. I watched it in two different houses, and the larger house was horrible. The fire looked beyond fake. Although the smaller house looked a little better, it still looks weird to me...

And this is no where near Micheal Bay, you can't even touch that subject, why bring it down that low? I liked the way it was cut, gave it realism, and captured Mexico very well.

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 05:39 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done screening it, waste of time, I shouldve watched Matchstick Men...

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was decent.

I was disappointed by the cheesey humor. Did anyone else catch the "can you hear me now?" line in there? It would have been much better with darker humor. Maybe if Tarrintino directed it.

However, you have to remember, just as the name suggests, this movie is a fairy tale. A very violent fairy tale. Nothing seems real in the movie or even possible, but I think that was the point.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-14-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox News and Friends Sunday talked about the film today. The one key thing that really stuck out that was said... "Robert Rodriguez keeps making the same movie over and over again, just each time with a bigger budget. And they keep giving him money!"

I think that just summs it up. El Mariachi was a crowning achievement. Too bad he crowned on his first film.

Dave

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2003 03:13 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went down and watched about 30 minutes of it (the end), and I must say, the picture was sharper than most of the prints I have screened lately. Sharp focus, no grain... It was beautiful.

Then there were the explosions. My god, they looked terrible. It didn't even look like fire.

quote:
Sure, there was no grain but again I think it was intended.
I for one hate grain, so this is a big plus for me. I love movies like this that have no grain.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2003 04:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how edge enhancement can fool so many people into thinking that they are seeing a higher resolution image. Sorry guys, not so. EE is sort of like the CAP code. As long as you don't notice it, you're ok. Once you see it, you quickly learn to detest everything you see using it.

Regardless, Robert Rodriguez still sucks for giving me 3 1/2 hours of the most painful time I have spent in a theater this year.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-18-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, now I can comment on this film, having just saw this last night. But first, a few bits from the HBO FIRST LOOK on this film...

Robert Rodroogeez actually said "this is really the first time I have been excited to make a movie in a long time. Using film is so cumbersome to the whole process that it just brings me down. using the HiDef video I can be satisfied that I got the shot I wanted without the worry that comes when you have to wait for the dailies to come back. It is such a great medium for filmmaking, I don't know what I ever did without it..."

Ahem.... YOU MADE MOVIES YOU PINHEAD!!!!!!

I agree, the sound mix (unoficially supervised and mixed by roodreegeeez himself) is horrendous. I went deaf. OUCH.

The video look was obvious to me, but not to my date. Most people cannot tell the difference, and that is a total shame. There is such beauty in film. He definately did not need to do this in video. The fire and explosions looked like I was watching the Iraqi Invasion on Fox News. In fact, I may have been.

The charachter development was as such as I was happy to see the cook get shot. I didn't care a damn bit at all about anyone.

However, I did like the style of video making. I really liked the show as a whole, despite that this video is bieng billed as a "film". It is a motion picture, yes, but not a film. This is one long mexican music video.

However, i liked it alot, will see it again, but this time with earplugs.

dave

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-19-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
despite that this video is bieng billed as a "film". It is a motion picture, yes, but not a film.
Not having seen the actual print in a theatre, I cannot say what Rodriguez calls it on the screen, but in the 'Mexico' advertising materials it is billed as 'A Robert Rodriguez Flick' And of course he was completely truthful in calling Spy Kids 3D a 'digital file'...

-Aaron

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2003 09:13 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was one of the better looking digital movies out there. I commend Robert Rodrgiuez for an impressive movie made primarily by one guy.
On the other hand, I don't shell out 6 buck at a matinee to be impressed by how much one guy can accomplish by himself and finance this control freak. Robert should learn to delegate.
The movie would have been better if he spent more time honing the script and hiring top notch professionals to help him in other departments. IT won't prevent him from still being hands on. Spielberg is hands on but has enough sense to hire top collaborators.

THis movie should have looked and sounded better. There was something missing in the flow. This indicates Robert's mind was distracted by the spy kids franchise(Wasn't OUATIM a couple of years in the making?).

The fact that this is one of the best looking digital movies out there and there are still scenes that look fake should give people an idea that digital should only be used by indie filmmakers who dont have access to a bigger budget. The opening scene with Cheech and Depp looked so damn videoish. Every person had a reddish tint on their cheeks. The fire scenes were too fake. Robert went heavy on the simple colors to minimize the limitations of digital(Robert was fortunate that the theme of the movie accomodates those colors).

While I sorta liked the movie, I think Robert Rodriuguez blew an opportunity to make a great sequel. Eva Mendes didn't have half Hayek's charisma in this movie regardless of how Eva looks. Willem Defoe was wasted in a character that seemed to promise something more than what was delivered.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: