Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Freddy vs. Jason (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Freddy vs. Jason
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-14-2003 06:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is safe to read. No spoilers or winners are announced in this review...

I had high hopes for this. This film should've been packed with entertaining corny horror and predictable suspense, with a generous dose of butt kicking violence and deaths...well, not quite.

The first hour really dragged. There is a solid 1/2 hour where no one dies and the actors are too busy showing off how they can't really act and how much the director can't direct and how "ho hum" the sub plot is. The real action doesn't really hit until the end of reel 4 (5 reel movie). Now when the violence starts, it's good. Nothing beats watching Jason stomping around whacking people in half with his machetti for no good reason, but as always Freddy's lack of realism earns a solid yawn. However seeing the two fight each other in the last 20 minutes was fun. Now comes the bad part.

New Line has gone to great extent to keep the "winner" of the battle confidential, and I am not going to tell what the ending is...but suffice it to say that it is the most lamest ending I think I have ever seen in a horror movie. The ending is so bad my rating of this film dropped 2 stars in the last minute. It's a good thing New Line did not allow reviewers to see the last minute...because it sucks and brings down the entire movie! (The film should have ended 15 seconds earlier.) Because of this foolish choice of ending, the movie will open well, maybe have a somewhat decent second weekend for the die hard fans that couldn't attend the first weekend, then BOMB once the word gets out.

Really, don't bother with this one. The ending will leave you angry at wasting your time.

1 star out of 5.

|  IP: Logged

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Although it did have its moments where there was some decent teen slashing. Over all I won't be seeing it again. I think it met my quota of fake boobs and violence for the next year or so...

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 02:30 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you guys are no fun. I just got out of the Sneak Peek, and I was impressed. Maybe because it was all filmed here in Vancouver and that some of the actors featured in it are from here as well. But impressive gore effects, hilarious dialog from Freddy, and great fighting.

Yeah the fake boobs and obvious body doubles were disappointing, but the action is where this movie shines.

3.5 out of 5

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 03:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't go see a movie called Freddy vs. Jason and expect great acting, amazing subplots and character development. I go to see two of the greatest film icons of the 1980's duke it out! For what it is, this film really succeeds. Not only is the action great, but every fan of horror will love this film. I read awhile back that New Line's only stipulation to the writers of this film was to make it violent as hell. Well, let's say that they succeed. I haven't seen all the films in each series, but I'm sure this ranks up there with the best of each series.

SPOILERS AHEAD

One thing I really liked about this film was that they really get the audience to feel for Jason at the end. With the flashback to 1950's Camp Crystal Lake, I really got an idea to why Jason is, well, the way he is. At this point, they almost made him a hero of sorts. The shots showing the heckling children and the promiscuous teens coat them as evil and vile villians.

END SPOILERS

I really liked this film. If you love horror, either series, or some serious action check it out. Oh, and play it LOUD!!! God Bless DTS.

AJG

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't a suprise Keven Beacon cameo like I was almost expecting? I always find it amusing that he nevers recognizes "Friday the 13th" as his first film.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I agree with ya on this one. The first killing was the best.The ending really was a disappointment, gee....Freddy vs Jason II, I hope not. I did notice a few annoying things. Reel 2 or 3 had very annoying marks on the center of the frame. Looked like a series of blue dashes or dots (5 or 6)both vertical and horizontal ...:..., it was on and off all the way through the reel. Dead center on the screen, what the heck was it??? Plus, the last reel had a tape splice right before the credits rolled. I was tolded to watch thru the credits for a surprise, what the MPAA rating?????? [Confused]

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with Aaron here.

This was the perfect marriage of Freddy and Jason. The way the story is set up is perfect. How Freddy and Jason get together is perfectly written. The characterization of Freddy and Jason was...perfect.

******SPOILERS******

The way Springwood is written is great. The way the adults have erased all mention of anything related to Freddy makes sense. The entire set up makes sense. The use of Hypnocil made me so giddy for being a fan. I felt very rewarded.

Freddy owns this film for me. I am a Freddy fan. And the ending definitely works and is tonally perfect. If I had a criticism, it would be I wanted more Freddy and Jason. But what I got was great.

This is a fun movie. It's fun to watch these idiot teens get slashed to death. It's uber fun to watch Freddy and Jason interact.

If you're a fan of these franchises, you'll be rewarded.

Go into this film looking for a fun gore fest with great acting by Robert Englund. That's what I got at least.

-Paul

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 05:17 PM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler:

I was kinda hoping Micheal Meyers would show up and kill them both.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's one of the 10 or so alternate endings they shot.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-16-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Robert Englund movie is "Buster and Billie".

Umm, actually, that's the only other Robert Englund movie I've ever seen.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally, I thought Englund's best work was in the 2 "V" TV Mini series. Though even in elemntary school, I thought the TV series was very weak.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-18-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Brad on the point that the last 15 seconds was a complete waste of time, and shouldn't have been done.

I will also state that the opening five minute monologue by Freddy was horribly overacted by Englund, it should have been much more low key and less yelling.

Over all, I did enjoy the picture. The beginning and ending aside, that with stupid teenagers that seem to be like deer caught in the headligts when it comes to danger, I did like the picture, and put it up as one of the better horror/slasher flicks.

I would have gone with someone else rather than Ronny Yu to direct. However, the picture took in 36 million in its first weekend, so look for Freddy/Jason part 2.

Dave

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a nice early showing of this today. (Cineworld Bradford, Screen 10, Dolby Digital)

Watching the first parts of the movie I noticed that it was very scream-like...and that should be taken as a compliment. We then get an hour and a half of (to be british: bloody mingin’) violence and gore which seemed to entertain me pretty well. There isn’t much to the characters blah blah blah.

SPOILER

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

So why is this movie called “Freddy Vs Jason”? They don’t actually fight each other till the last reel. (…and I still don’t quiet get the actual plot of the film.)

SPOILER ABOVE

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be just me but I hate dream sequences in a horror movie with a passion. This movie just overdid it too much. Every other scene was a dream sequence and you had no clue until they actually woke up from it.

It seems to be that nobody knows how to write a legit horror movie these days. They all seem to end up like a cheesy Scream teen slasher movie. Everyone that attempts to write one just kills it in the end. Im predicting this for Texas Chainsaw Massacre as well.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dream sequences are part of the fun of a Nightmare on Elm Street movie. It can fun trying to figure out if the character is dreaming or is actually awake.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: