Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » American Wedding

Author Topic: American Wedding
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2003 02:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this one was just not as funny as the first two. I found myself sitting there at times wondering where the laughs are. The opening scene in the movie offers a new twist on making a proposal in a restraunt. Stiffler was funny at times but just seemed to offer a thin layer of comedy that just got boring. All in all I hope this is the last one. I give this one ** stars out of four.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-01-2003 03:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better than last weeks' crap!

Sure, it probably wasn't as good as the first two, but I still enjoyed it. It's worth seeing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie really should have been titled Stiffler's American Wedding

Fair. Disappointing as compared to the first two, but not just terrible either. I'd say 70% of this movie is nothing more than an excuse for Stiffler to do his thing. Most of it is obvious to predict what will happen, but some of it is still entertaining to watch anyway. This is definitely an "audience movie", so don't go to the theater when it's slow.

Eugene Levy is always entertaining, but the writers didn't give him too much to work with in this one. Kevin has all of about 3 lines in this and Oz isn't in this one at all. For the bride to be, Michelle also seems to have been stripped of screen time. I was glad to see the MILF guys return as well as Stifler's Mom, but disappointing was the lack of Stiffler's younger brother.

Overall not very memorable, but a decent time killer.

*Important clause...if you've seen the trailer, forget it. Like so many trailers today, they ruin the movie. Thankfully I refrained from watching it until a few minutes ago on the internet.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Brad here...........this is the worst case I have ever seen of a trailer giving away absolutely every single major "funny" scene away just in the trailer alone. So everytime something builds up to one of those scenes, you think back to the trailer and say "Hey, this is where Stifler bones grandma in the closet!", at which point the movie is ruined for you.

The MILF guys made the movie again....

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-05-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT???

This one was sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better then the first 2!!! I think its more of a girl thing though...with the wedding and all. Most of the female employees LOVED it and the guys were just like its ok or crap...

Really did get some good laughs out of me, I don't remember liking a comedy this much in a long time!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 08:18 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm split, I thought it was hillarious, but the comedy was a bit different. It seemed that Stifler was a bit more prude and the writers were a little more liberal (but it was funny). I don't think it was better than the first two, but then again, the first two didn't make me laugh this hard. I think girls liked it b/c of the wedding (as Rachel Said), and guys related to Stifler (or at least want to)...I give it 7 out of 10

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 04:28 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was all right. The best addition was by subtraction. No boring Chris Klein or Mena Suvari who were responsible for the most boring parts of Part 2.

I wish they had more of Euegene Levy in this movie. It would have been more in tune with the movie. It would also have been nice if they had a bigger party scene with a lot ofthe students from the first two movies (like the shermanator and others) and given them something funny to do and not put the entire comedy burden on Stiffler.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2003 05:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it actually called American Wedding there? Our prints are titled American Pie: The Wedding.

Just curious.

By the way, this is the worst of the three. It just sits there so often waiting for the laughter to die down. Since when do we edit features like Sitcoms? Pace man, pace...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2003/09/09, Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 16, Scope

I don't know why I waited so long to see this movie, but I found it very entertaining. The opening scene made me laugh and many things throughout the movie did.

About Stifler -- it seemed they gave him a noticeably different personality (exaggerated his rudeness a good bit) than in the first two movies, as others have mentioned. I thought it was overdone a bit, making his rudeness seem artificial to a degree.

I think this movie makes the American Pie series into a good trilogy. I liked all 3 of the movies.

As for presentation, the only flaw was the image being off-center 8 inches to the left, making it go several inches past the left masking onto the drapes and leaving a black strip on the right side of the screen. This was shown in one of the newly-converted "1.85:1-only screens" that now has movable top and side masking, making the screen be about 25 feet by 10.5 feet for scope (13.5 feet high for flat). It's better than cropping the sides like they used to do and scope films do look very sharp on those screens due to the smaller size.

There were 3 people in the audience including me, so this movie probably won't be around much longer. This is the busiest theatre complex in the Huntsville/Decatur area and it manages to pull in decent crowds sometimes even on weeknights. If yoiu want to be in the biggest audience in town, this is the place to go. I'll be if I'd gone to another theatre, I'd have been the only person to show up for it.

So, the question is -- is this the end of the American Pie series, or will they somehow find a way to make another movie?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: