Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dirty Pretty Things

Author Topic: Dirty Pretty Things
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-30-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film, although customers who saw the poster and are expecting another "Amelie" will probably be disappointed. The acting is great and there's never a dull moment. Still, it's a "serious" film and not the great date movie that Amelie was. Hopefully it will find an audience.

Anyone who liked "La Promess" from a few years ago will appreciate this one.

|  IP: Logged

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2003 12:22 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched this tonight. One of the better films I have seen in a while. I thouight it was interesting and had a lot of funny parts in it for a more serious film. But I liked it. Very good!

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 03:42 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed the movie as a trade screening.. I didnt think it was too bad, but a little on the wierd side..

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 08-23-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTP is wonderful. Yes, its dark. No it's not a horror film it's a drama. And the poster art is horrible...what was Miramax thinking with that title treatment. I thought the cast was wonderful and Frears totally immerses the viewer in their world.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2003 01:59 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite Frears movies. The guy does know how to show the ugly ghetto side of London in his immigrant movies, doesnt he. The apartments in My Beautiful Laundrette and Sammie And Rosie looked as ugly as the ones in this movie.

This movie is better than those 80s movies of his. Sammie And Rosie Get Laid in particular was a terrible movie. My Beautiful Laundrette was good, but overrated. This movie holds up to the hype.

The lead actors do a great job. Even the supporting role are good, right down to the chinese friend of the lead.

THe movie is a social drama mixed in with a thriller.

MINI SPOILER:

What I liked about the movie is the way things turn out eventually, the way they turn the tables on one of the characters. It is usually not something you are used to seeing in serious dramas.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't add to what's already been said. Really enjoyed this movie... good story and character development. Kept my attention to the end. [thumbsup]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film has a quiet intensity to it that keeps a certain suspense under the surface. Not blatant, but just under the radar. I do agree MIRAMAX is trying to sell the film as something its not.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 09-21-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it tonight and also agree it is a great film, very dark, good cinematography. The mix is quite bland, but well suited towords this kind of drama.

Its nice to have a good condition used print for a change, thanks former owners of print no. 300

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-21-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Pravin, I agree about what you said about Frears and "My Beautiful Laundrette". While Frears is a very interesting director, "Laundrette" was a good film in it's time. Now it's nothing to sneeze about...way out-dated. He has made several great films and I agree the "getting laid" film is NOT one of them! YUK! What a POS!

I do like his work in general, but he many times, as you mention, overstates things. His work in "Prick Up Your Ears" was fantastic, but his TV version of "Failsafe" sucked!

As others have already said, "DPT" is a cool film!

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: