Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Seabiscuit

Author Topic: Seabiscuit
Matthew Sonnenshein
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Matthew Sonnenshein   Email Matthew Sonnenshein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews Cineplex Palisades Center Mall
7:30pm Friday Night show

First let me get out of the way the two things that annoyed me about the presentation of the film. The show began about 10 minutes late. This was for a sold out show so everyone got their early and was ansy for the film to begin. Secondingly the masking for the screen was such that the picture did not fill the exposed screen. I found that pretty distracting. I informed the staff of such but nothing was done about it.

The film itself was nothing special. Some of the performances were very interesting (such as Chris Cooper) but it felt that they strayed away from them. I know it was based on a book about a true story but in general the story curve was exhausting. After, Seabiscuit defeated War Admiral it felt like the end of the movie so having to sit through another 30 minutes was tiring. One should take great pains if when making a movie any longer than 2 hours to adopt the story-telling so that it feels a short as possible. The movie failed in that accord. Some of the shots in the movie were quite eye-pleasing but in general the racing cinematography was ordinary.
I think if the sentimental streak that the movie brandishes is something that has appealled to you in the past you'll like the movie. But otherwise its not worth it.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 08:32 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very good movie. I think where it fails to become a great movie is that 30 or so years are presented in a series of vignettes that tell the story. Though the acting is great, the actors don't have the dramatic license of time and space for you to feel what their feeling and completely get inside them.

The directing style and art direction made me feel like I was in the thirties. The scenes in Mexico and at the Santa Anita racetrack were as colorful as a postcard from that era.

As opposed to the previous comment, I thought the racing cinematography was extraordinary. The only thing I doubted was how easy it was for jockeys to carry on conversations in mid-race without a lot more hollering.

Didn't see too many teenagers at my show. The old folks turned out for this and boy did they love it. Applause went up when Seabiscuit won that match (spoiler?) and at the film's conclusion.

Wow, they still make movies in Hollywood with a story and no explosions.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-28-2003 10:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could have been a truly great film. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way. The acting and cinematography are top-notch, but the editing is terribly uneven and occasionally technically wrong (mismatched cuts, etc.). The score is OK, but should have been better (what's that Moby song doing in there, anyhow?). The film is probably worth seeing and should do fairly well, but it's annoying to think about how great this film could have been with only a few relatively minor changes.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the film. I just felt like it was a terrible waste of an opportunity to make something memorable.

Jonathan Ralston
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Jonathan Ralston   Email Jonathan Ralston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the film, but really was expecting more. I understand that they didn't want to make a three hour film, but the quick jumping around in the beginning was a little annoying. not to mention the old people smell in the crowded theater

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2003 09:26 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much agree with every thing stated above. I did find this one enjoyable to watch. I give it *** out of four stars

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-03-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene, House #6, SR-D, 12:00 8/3/2003. Attendance about 50. Pretty good technically except not loud enough for my taste and the surrounds didn't seem to be working at all. There were a few randomly-scattered scratches.

I enjoyed it. Falls short of "great" but it's very good. I guess you could say it has a lot of heart. [thumbsup]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt as if this was the feel-good movie of the summer. I really enjoyed the acting, the story, and the beautiful cinematography. As for the sound mix, we ran it at our reference level and the trailers were ridiculousy loud. However, the film overall is rather quiet, dialouge especially. I saw it in DTS in a house that is usually perfect so I know it isn't the auditorium, just the mix I think David.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: