Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Spy Kids 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Spy Kids 3D
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-25-2003 02:33 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This summer's Crap-A-Thon continues with Robert Rodriguez's latest attempt at filmmaking for children. No wait, it isn't filmmaking because it isn't a film. Shot entirely on high definition video, no wait, it isn't really high definition video either. The whole friggin' movie is just really bad cgi! Ugh, ok to get on with the meat of the review...

The 3D flat out doesn't work. The right eye is almost perfect (and was in a few of the reels), but the left eye was terrible in most of the reels (only R3 on the particular print I screened was somewhat acceptable). You would think that someone would've double checked the prints to make sure the colors were compatible with the 3D glasses Miramax sent out to theaters. No wait, that would've been smart. Could someone please just send me a non-3D print to run instead of this piss poor excuse for 3D?

As far as the story and "acting" goes...stupid, stupid, stupid. There is a difference between good kid's movies and bad kid's movies. This is one of those bad kid's movies. In fact, the whole movie is just about kids being inside a video game. I have nothing remotely positive to say about this, except don't waste your time nor your money. I can't imagine how much Rodriguez had to pay all of those actors for cameos, but maybe he saved their lives or something and they were just paying him back the favor. Hopefully the government will step in and forbid Robert Rodriguez to make a Spy Kids 4.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 02:49 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it, and actually liked the 3d effect. The storyline is kinda lame, but the cgi wasn't as bad as Brad stated. I've seen worse. As for the 3d effect, our print didn't create any problems, there was plenty of dimension to it. Granted, since it isn't a polariod setup things don't leap out at ya. But, stuff did pop off of the screen. The chase scene was very cool. The silver molten stuff was very Kewl. I was very impressed with the effects, but I don't think little kids will keep the glasses on. But, I suppose that is why the have elastic straps attached to them. [Smile] Let's hope that Hollywood brings back more 3d soon. If any feature film this year had bad cgi, then the MATRIX should win it hands down.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-25-2003 05:46 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there was plenty of dimension to it
Like more than three? [Smile]

I wonder if I can learn how to make popcorn, because projecting [bs] like Spy Kids 3D [puke] is just embarrassing.

And you know what really sucks, is the lame [sex] in' 3D glasses that are impossible to fit in a somewhat comfortable position over your eye glasses.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-25-2003 05:50 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Daryl! What a complainer!

>>>Phil

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy some contacts then. Or laser surgery.

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for Brad's problem viewing the 3-D, it may be a slight problem with your eyes. If one of your eyes is slightly weaker or you have convergence issues, then that can cause problems with the images lining up properly. I have the same problem. You may not even know you have a problem till you try to view something that requires good binocular vision.

As for the rapid hatred toward the movie, I just don't understand that. It's not a horrible film. It's pretty cool. Do you people enjoy having fun?

It's definitely the weakest of the three SK films. It's too short. The ending is weak. But it's still fun and has some funny moments. I especially enjoyed the performances by Bobby Edner, Ryan "Punk'd" Pinkston, and Robert Vito. I loved the opening of the film with Juni as a private eye.

As for the CGI being bad. How in the hell do you judge that? The whole thing is supposed to be a low resolution video game. The CGI isn't supposed to look real.

In the end, SK3 is a fun, harmless little film. It was obviously a project RR did just to have fun. RR is a continually fascinating filmmaker. He has now assumed the roles of production designer, director of photography, camera operator, costume designer, visual effects supervisor, editor, director, writer, producer, songwriter, composer, and probably more than that. He edits his films at his house so he can be with his family. Family is very important to RR, as is stated in the SK films.

So have a little fun. Chill out. Stay cool.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-25-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laser surgery doesn't protect me from exploding Fox reels. I don't need my glasses to see!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-25-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie. My vision is intact, so I enjoyed the 3D effects. The movie is simply structured, but fun to watch. I think it is a great movie for kids. For many of them, the 3D and the glasses and all that will be a new effect.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-25-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like it... the 3-D took a while to get used to. At first the colors were completly distorted but during about the 3rd reel my eyes got used to it and it started to look better. I think because this is a kids movie they could have done more with the 3-D to make it more prominant for the kids...things coming at you and such, I can only remember it doing that a couple of times.

The movie itself was kind of weak but not bad, a little fun for the kids! [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-25-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not had problems viewing other 3D movies, and since there were 2 other people who came in for about a reel and also complained of the exact same problem, I think this is an issue with the print. Do note that R3 of my print was noticeably better than the others, although I could see 3D effects on every reel, they had bad alignment issues. I doubt my eyes changed at the reel change splices.

As for the hatred to this movie, it's because the show is just damned stupid. Rodriguez used to make great films like Desperado, now he makes crap. That's not to say that this film won't do insane box office business though.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 08:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
makes me wonder how good once upon a time in mexico is going to be.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem as Brad did with distortion between my two eyes. It seemed as though the Red was just a little too dark, possibly the filter on the glasses they sent out.

I did like the little concessions "plug" at the beginning of the movie by Alan Cummings character!

I wonder how long the actual script is for this movie seeing as the whole concept is based on WOWing people with the 3D instead of an actual plot. Maybe like 20 minutes? All in all I think this film did the job it was made to do........make money! It was a good new concept for a film that we dont see too often. It wasnt the best and certainly wasnt the worst.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 10:30 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's bringing them in, kids, parents and grandparents. Everyone that has seen it young and old thought it was KEWL. As for the glasses, they are very well made. A heck of a lot better than other 3d films that I've seen. One little trick.... We've been telling the moviegoers to find seats near the screen for a better 3d effect. That has made cleaning a huge auditorium with stadium seats a breeze. Plus, it is better than the back rows.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of what I've seen of this movie, its complete [bs] Admittedly I've only seen a few bits and pieces, however I too found the 3D effects to be very disappointing. After seeing several special venue 3D presentations I was very disappointed. To me the movie would a have been at least watchable in standard 2D. Rodriguez made a 2D version of this movie (it will be on the DVD supposedly). They should have released both of them, at least limited on one or the other format. I think they'd find that 3D is not the draw that they think it is.

On the plus side, the glasses are better than most I've seen, but not the best either.

If Hollywood keeps producing [bs] like this, they need to look at other things besides piracy for lost revenue.

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you say SK3 is completely stupid and a piece of crap. How so? Please give examples.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: