Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bad Boys II

Author Topic: Bad Boys II
R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of Action, Lots of laughs, Lots of language, lots and lots and lots of minutes. Enjoyable but could have been just as enjoyable shaving an hour off. It's not like there was an incredible story to tell. Basic action flick. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith do have a good on screen chemistry. They made the length tolerable, but I am positive most viewers will see it as just too long.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, better than the original. Never really a dull moment. Entertaining to very end. Presentation wise, once again at this theater has sucked big time. There was so many splices and dirt it looked like they were running Michael Bay's workprint. Digital sound didn't kick until 1/2 through the trailers. To boot, the film started in frame, but the moron operator still has to play with the friggin framing knob. This location would benefit from locked framing knobs.

Piss poor presentation but the movie itself saved from getting a refund.

[ 07-19-2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: Ron Lacheur ]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well as increasing the length, I see that director Michael Bay has switched from filming flat (Bad Boys 1) to filming Scope (Bad Boys 2).

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Boys 1 was Michael Bays only flat production.

I thought the action sequences were great but the story was the same ol thing nothing new. There were several scenes in the film that they were trying for comedy but was just not funny. The movie was a bit long but for action films that is good. But the problem is the story was just not really interesting enough. You know it's bad when it takes 6 or 7 writers to pound out a screenplay. I give this one **1/2 stars out of 4.

quote:
There was so many splices and dirt it looked like they were running Michael Bay's workprint.
Sounds to me like they dropped the film in the floor.

Coleman L. Zatarain
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Coleman L. Zatarain   Author's Homepage   Email Coleman L. Zatarain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bad Boys 1 was Michael Bays only flat production.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) will also be flat.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he didn't direct it he only produced it.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been possible that they dropped the print, but this was the first showing. They couldn't possibly be that dumb, could they?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-20-2003 01:52 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I guess I got carried away Friday morning harassing Brad and forgot to post my review.

I liked it. I was entertained. I didn't have to think, and since it was 4:00am that was a good thing. It was long, which was good too... gave me time to eat my entire pizza. Maybe some day I'll let the delivery guy stay to watch the show, nah. [Smile]

Bottom line, it's just as good as most of the other product out this summer.

Ron, if you don't mind could you email me the name of the theatre? Thanks.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It could have been possible that they dropped the print, but this was the first showing. They couldn't possibly be that dumb, could they?

Yes they could. [Frown] A print that is full of splices and has a lot of dirt has often been picked off the floor as a pile of "spaghetti". Some people foolishly take pride in moving large rolls of complete prints between platters without help or even mechanical assist like clamps. Like "Russian Roulette", you can get away with it MOST of the time, but sooner or later, there's a bloody mess on the floor. [Eek!]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie bored me. The jokes were tired and played out. I hate Bay's very impersonal filming style. HE has no great sense of visual style. Just jams everything in the frame and hope something sticks.

THe second half of the big car chase where cars go somersaulting was a great sequence. For that alone, I don't consider the movie a total loss. But the rest of the movie was a snoozer. It should have been a 100 minute movie MAX. Instead it runs at a bloated 2 1/4 hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: