Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dark Water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara)

Author Topic: Dark Water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara)
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: The following contains plot spoilers

This is a virtual remake of Ring from its director, Hideo Nakata. A recently divorced single mum moves into a grotty, run-down 1960s block of flats with her six year-old daughter. Water starts leaking from the ceiling and she investigates the flat above, where a little girl of a similar age to the daughter used to live. It later emerges that she drowned in the water tower on the building's roof, hence all the flooding. Needless to say, a thoroughly unpleasant time is then had by all.

As I mentioned above, this film really does recycle pretty much all of the key themes, characters and suspense/shock devices of Ring. Once again, the lead character is a single parent who ends up having to make a sacrifice for the sake of her daughter. Once again, the mundane and pragmatic behaviour of the middle-class, professional supporting characters (teachers, lawyer, apartment block manager) is contrasted with the supernatural havoc perpetrated by the ghost of the dead child. And finally there's the obsession with domestic technology: TVs and VCRs in Ring, the lift in this film (I guarantee you'll never want to ride in one again after seeing this). I won't give away the ending, but it's pretty similar, too.

Lovely cinematography and a superb print - only Fuji stock can give you those dense and rich blue/grey/green shades.

Edited afterthought, a fortnight or so later: this film would make a brilliant double bill with Ascenseur pour l'échafaud.

[ 07-31-2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Leo Enticknap ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: