Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pirates of the Caribbean (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean
Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 06:43 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Righteous Film Fun!!

I personally cannot believe it is good as it is. Cutthroat Island it is not. I can quarantee ya this is 80% Bruckhiemer and the rest Disney. First of all, no company logos ushering us in, scared the hell out of me when building but I flashed back to Black Hawk Down and connected the Bruckhiemer dots. Has a good score and great mix. The directing was sound, didn't give me one erroneous shot. The effects were as seamless as could be, kept looking for that moonlight mistake, but they caught it all. Johnny Depp riegns supreme in this, his best in a while, probably the best character since Fear and Loathing. Rush is good but hes never bad and the damsel in distress is hot(Star Wars Portman clone, not Rush). The pirates themselves are individuals and have thier own quirks which is cool. I think they kicked ass on this, and it didn't drag thru that 143 minutes. Recommending and going to bed.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 08:59 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think one reason that there were no opening logos is because Disney did not want there logo jumping out at you since the film was rated PG-13. The first film to be released with this rating not to be a touchstone title.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. I thought the guy who built ours up cut the logo off by mistake!

This was a GREAT movie! It would have been great to see this movie earlier in the summer rather than that stupid Keanu Reeves movie (what was that called again?).

Anyway, at two and a half hours, this movie didn't drag at all for me. Johnny Depp was incredibly fun to watch as Captain Jack Sparrow. It's a real shame that he'll probably never get nominated for an award for that part. The sword fights are great, the fight scenes are intense, the sound mix is incredible, the special effects are flawless, and for those who have been to the Disney parks, be sure to watch for little scenes from the ride.

Think before taking small children to see this movie, because the cursed pirates are pretty scary looking at night.

Thumbs up all the way on this one! [thumbsup]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruckheimer's earlier film, "PEARL HARBOR" also did use the Touchstone (Disney) logo. Looking forward to seeing this movie in SRD-EX.

-Claude

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from the trailer, it looks like it could be a cool pirate movie. But somehow, I can't associate hard, screeching, grunge-rock music with seafaring? I hope it's not that way in the movie.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No rock and roll or grunge, all score, baby!!

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruckheimer did not put an opening logo on "Pearl Harbor" or "Black Hawk Down".

What a great fun movie. I will watch it again.

Chase Taylor

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Two thumbs up here for Pirates. The movie as a whole is just plain fun. There was a spot a bit past the halfway point that dragged, but only for a couple of minutes. Johnny Depp inparticular was great and perfect for this role. I enjoyed this film quite a bit and it may actually get a second viewing before it leaves the theaters. (VERY rare for me.) Try and pick a theater with a good sound system. It's got a great track on it! This will probably be this summer's sleeper hit.

Definitely check this one out in theaters. Don't wait for the DVD. This movie deserves to be seen in a theater.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this today in both DLP and film. What an awesome movie! I didn't expect it to be as "intense" as it was. I figured even at PG-13, with Disney hands on it, it would probably be tame. Nope! Battles and ghosts and all the good stuff! Orlando Bloom kept taking me back to LOTR with some of his acting.

The sound mix was awesome! The DLP house was THX certified, and I felt the thunder and cannon fire in my chest. [thumbsup]

Reccomended 100%

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 11:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT FUN!

My son wants to be a pirate now............

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't expecting much when my wife and daughter talked me into seeing this last night. They dragged me along to buy the tickets. You have to have been on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Disney parks to appreciate a lot of the images and one liners through out the film. All the lead actors were convincing and the effects were good. Overall, two hours and twenty some minutes of mindless summer fun. Six thumbs up for this film.

The presentation was another matter. We saw it in theater 16 at the Island 16: cinema de lux at Holtsville, NY. A so called "Directors Hall". A National Amusements theater. When the trailers started it was obviously out of focus. An annoying travel ghost as visible on the top third of the screen. I went out and called it to the attention of the manager at the time. Then went back to watch the film.

You can guess what happened. Nothing.

When the credits ran at the end they were out of focus and the ghosting was still there. The cleanup staff was milling around and talking in the front of the theater waiting for the dozen remaining paying customers to leave so they could clean up. That in it's self is totally unacceptable.

I again complained to a different manager explaining what had happened. When I said I complained at the beginning of the show, but really didn't expect anything to change, she just smiled and then gave me passes.

This theater has been open for about six months and is supposed to be a cut above the rest. It has already started to decay. I was told it's a union booth, but I didn't get to speak to the operator.

I can't help wondering if anyone else complained. If not, I'm sorry to say, they will sit like sheep and watch anything. And get exactly what they deserve in terms of presentation.

I'm hoping someone from National Amusements reads this. A perfect example of "film done wrong".

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-12-2003 12:07 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlikely that was a union booth. When National Amusements opened their "The Bridge Cinema De Lux" location in the Promenade at Howard Hughes Center in Los Angeles they had an article published in the LA Times which noted that the company's policy was for projection to be handled by the theater managers (as opposed to floor staff). No dedicated operators (union or otherwise) there.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-12-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene, 11:45AM, house #3, probably DTS (educated guess as there were no dropouts at numerous lab splices). Attendance about 65. Very good presentation.

Liked it a lot. Johnny Depp is great. Nice action sequences. Plenty going on. Humor. They could have trimmed about 10 mins or so out of it though without harming it. My only technical complaint is the dialog level seemed mixed a little low relative to music & effects, made it difficult sometimes to understand everything being said. [thumbsup]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2003 10:53 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a former booth supervisor for them I know that they do not employ Union Projectionists at their theatres. New York may be a different story. Sumner Redstone would roll over in his grave if they had employed Union Guys...... oh wait, sorry he is not dead yet.... ooopsss

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know they used to employ union projectionists because I know a guy who used to work for them. He also told me that when they started using managment they had to go thru a booth training course.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: