Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » T3: Rise of the Machines (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: T3: Rise of the Machines
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-01-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the better films released in the last while.

I enjoyed it. Go see it now, before they make the fourth one and Arnold runs for governor. Or better yet, just see it in a theatre with a good sound system.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 04:06 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. Yes, this really was a pretty good movie. Sure, it isn't anywhere near the caliber of T2 in terms of story and characters, but it stands by itself as a great action film. The story is still there, but just not as deep as T2 was. Nevertheless, it is enjoyable to watch and have fun with. Arnold, after all these years, still has it too. After seeing Collateral Damage, I was a bit worried about him. He manages with this film to redeem himself though. And I second Daryl's comments about seeing this in a theatre with a good sound system. WOW! We watched it in DTS and it was simply fantastic. Great LFE and very nice use of the surrounds. I became completely lost within the gunfire at times. Crank this sucker up: we did!

AJG

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 01:49 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this a couple of weeks ago at a screening. Although I enjoyed watching it at the moment I was watching it. I didn't like it as much as the first two. I miss Linda Hamilton. I did enjoy Arnold’s humor in the film. But ultimately the story left me feeling flat. I guess it has been done before.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

I think that my good opinion of this film is partially based on my exceedingly low expectations.

One thing that I did enjoy was the concept of eventuality in their universe when it comes to time travel. No matter how many Terminators were to be sent back, O'Connor had to survive.

No Matter how many Terminators that were taken care of by Sarah, JOhn, et al. Judgement day had to occur. The time frame was fluid, but the events had to occur. I guess I like films that make me think, but not so much as to cause mental pain.

My biggest regret of the film is that the major character development scene (O'Connor becoming a leader) seems like it will happen only after the credits start to roll. God help me it almost screams for another sequel, I comment I never thought I would make.

Robb Johnston

[Edited by moderator to include spoiler alert]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-02-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
almost screams for another sequel
almost?!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film has pretty much everything any terminator fan would want to see. Destruction, mayhem, and did I say destruction. The film did lack the solid character development that Cameron brought to the first two films. But even if Cameron did not have anything to do with this one it brought together the elements of the first two films to combine for two hours of fun and entertainment. Maybe not perfect in it's story telling but that doesn't matter when the action and visual effects take over. I give this one *** out of four stars.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think T3 is going to be a huge summer hit based on all of the very favorable comments I have read on other forums and here. The only unfavorable review I read was the one by Mike Clarke in yesterday's USA Today. He seem to have a problem enjoying mainstream movies most people like. Hope to catch it soon and when I do, it will be in the best theatre with awesome picture and sound. That theatre is Consolidated Ward 16 with their large 60 foot screen in four of their largest auditoriums and a sound system I consider better than THX.

-Claude

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 05:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the trailers for T3 were mediocre at best, and since James Cameron wasn't involved, I really had low expectations for this. Sounds like it may turn out to be a pleasant surprise instead. Hope so for theatres, cause the other summer "blockbusters" haven't really had legs at all, except maybe for "Finding Nemo".

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILERS***

I dont know if anyone else will agree with me or if I am just making a crazy connection in my mind but all I could think about during the last half of this film was the movie "WarGames". I dont know maybe it was the whole we have to stop the super computer that is in control of the millitary from destroying the world thing??? I liked this movie a lot but it just kinda bugged me I suppose.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, it was the software that caused the problem...Not the machines themselves. Right, Bill Gates? [Smile]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great flick. Throughly enjoyed this one. The female Terminator was good eye candy and gave Ahnold a challenge.

5-6 trailers and about 6 ads before the film totaling 20 minutes was a bit nerve wracking as the damage at the beginning of Reel 6. Looked like someone ran the film through a cheese grater.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-04-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the film, after having heard all the hype and anti-hype, it was good. I do believe that a fourth is in the works, but may not have much if any arnold in it, that is if he makes a try at the Cali Gov's Mansion.

As for it feeling like war games? Hey since Terminator ONE came out, it was skynet that took over the world. How could it feel like anything else? But this time, Matt Broderick didn't win the tic-tac-toe game and not all is right with the world.

The film ended very flat, so except for the last ten minutes, and the first 20 minutes of commercials, it was a lot of fun.

Dave

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-04-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, it is quite obvious that they are bringing it to a 4th. Good film, worth seeing in a theater with a good sound system, the mix is great! [Smile]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was definatly a good movie and the sound was some of the best that I ever heard in a feature film. In fact it blew a couple of fuses in one of our power supplies. Depending on the time line, they can easily make a forth movie without having Arnold and hopefully they can finally make one not involving time travel unless they introduce and later send the Kyle Reese character back in time (also giving Arnold his cameo) though I would hope that they would save that for the end of the fifth movie effectly making the third, forth and fifth films a kind of trilogy in their own right leading back to the original.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-04-2003 11:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene, 12:00 noon, house #3, SDDS. Attendance about 40. The presentation was technically excellent. Print was flawless, no lab splices or other defects, very sharp and clear, very steady image. Xlnt SDDS sound, not a single dropout from start to finish. Way to go Regalistas! [Cool]

THIS MOVIE ROCKS! I went in with very low expectations, and it turns out to be the best action film I've seen in quite a while. The story and special effects are very good. Ahnuld looks like he's still pumping a lot of iron -- he's not over the hill yet. I was disappointed when it ended -- I wanted more. They better do another sequel! I will pay to see this again in a theatre where it really needs to be seen to be appreciated. [thumbsup]

Maybe this will be the first live-action "blockbuster" this summer that actually has some staying power...

Talk to the hand. [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: