Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Charlie's Angels Full Throttle

Author Topic: Charlie's Angels Full Throttle
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is one for the guys. Try to count the close-ups of the butts, bet ya can't. Boring 103 minutes of useless crap, surrounded by Prodigy music from over 3 years ago. Cameron Diaz is showing her age with the ultra tight close-up shots. Demi Moore looks like she's been starving herself, or perhaps up-chucking' after seeing the daily's on this film. Terrible CGI effects and ripoff overused Matrix special effects. How much more of this junk will Hollywood pump out????? [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-27-2003 03:20 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen worse.

You could say it is one of the better movies out right now, but that doesn't say much at all.

I'm glad that I didn't pay to see it. In fact, it's a good thing I got paid to watch it.

I actually didn't find that the CGI stuff was that bad... it was good for the type of movie it is.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was fairly good considering. I did find some fx weird like when they were outside the observatory. It was like they were trying to make it a perfect day (blue sky) or hide something.

Jacqueline Smith still looks good.
Demi has had many $'s of work done. She doesn't quite have the innocent beauty of 'About Last Night' and lost a bit of the scratchy voice but otherwise is still nice.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the natural question for me to ask, not having seen this yet, is "Is it as good as the first one?"

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Valley River Cinema World 8, Eugene, 12:00 noon, house #3, probably SDDS. Attendance about 25. Feature looked good but some of the rolling stock was a little raggedly assembled. Volume during the digital trailers was perfect, but when the feature started it was WAY louder. TOO loud.

Although I checked my brain at the door and wanted to just enjoy it as a "romp", all I can say is it sucked. Cameron Diaz didn't look all that good in some of her closeups. Bernie Mac seemed like he kept wondering what he was doing in this movie. The worst part is my ears were bleeding from the painfully loud sound. The mix was often very shrill. I give them an "F" for the soundtrack. I finally couldn't take any more, so I left after about 45 mins. [Mad]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this Friday night (opening night) with 3 friends at the local Carmike 10 and we all found the movie to be a blast. We enjoyed it. It's a lot like the first one. The first one worked, and so did this one. There are lots of unbelievable stunts done, but that's just part of the comic ridiculous charm of these movies. They're meant to be that way. My friends and I had smiles on our faces for most of the movie.

I liked the soundtrack. It was in a DTS/THX house and the sound was the correct volume (not too loud or soft) and everything sounded great.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it! [Big Grin]

It was Asstastic.

It had perhaps one of the best dance sequences since Fred and Ginger. Or the Donald O’Connor dance in "Singing in the Rain". I expect it to be prominently featured in the next Chuck Workman clip show at the Oscars.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-05-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the first movie and had the DVD in my my collection but it was stolen with many others I had lost earlier this year. I was not planning to replace it until I saw a Superbit reissue for $17.95 at Costco with a enclosed free movie ticket for the sequel. I used the ticket this afternoon and I was very happy I did not pay to watch this stinker. David, I also checked my brains at the door when I entered the theatre but the movie was still pretty bad. I do not know if my taste for this kind of movies has changed since I saw the first one but I was pretty bored with the movie after thirty minutes but did manage to stick it out until the end. I saw the movie at the Kapolei 16 in DTS. The sound was ok and thank God, the sound volume was very good.

-Claude

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Destinta Theatres, New Windsor NY, 7/5, 5 PM matinee. Hall #2, attendance ~20.

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle is loud, LOUD, LOUD! The sound engineer had to have put in lots of compression/limiting. When it's done by radio stations it makes music sound terrible. When it's done for a movie it's even worse. Not only that, this film was playing in an SDDS hall but the digital sound didn't cut in until 4-5 minutes into R5.

If you do stay to the end it's worth seeing the catfight between Demi Moore and the "current" Angels. The training she got as G.I. Jane must have served her well.

How many of you recognized all those hit songs in the soundtrack? "U Can't Touch This" by M.C. Hammer ... "Centerfold" by The J. Geils Band ... "Thunder Kiss '65" by White Zombie ... "Surfer Girl" by The Beach Boys ... "Ain't Nothin' But a G Thang" by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg ... an uptempo "Pink Panther" by some anonymous jazz act ... "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb ... and, within the outtakes, "Any Way You Want It" by Journey. That soundtrack must have been to camouflage the weak story line and weaker plot. Most critics couldn't figure out the pop culture angle; J. Hoberman of the Village Voice and Christy Lemire of the Associated Press are among the few who did.

Presentation: Hairline scratches down the left side from beginning to end. [Mad] These were especially visible in the lighter scenes. Destinta opened 2 prints of this film yet the booth staff/popcorn jockeys can't thread a print properly!

Show began with a policy snipe followed by 1 rolling stock advert and 4 trailers. The policy snipe is old and beat-up; it was joined in progress and the sound didn't come on for about 5 seconds. [Razz] All 4 trailers were for Sony-related product (Envy, S.W.A.T., Gigli, Bad Boys II). Apparently the booth couldn't find trailers from any other studio. Lights went down all the way during the trailers instead of at the start of the feature. When the credit scroll began after the outtakes, the lights came up all the way. [Roll Eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: