Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Italian Job (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Italian Job
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 03:00 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a summer filled with disappointing movies, this was a breath of fresh air. Nothing spectacular, but another typically solid entertainer from the dependable F Gary Gray. I have yet to see a boring badly paced movie from him(Friday, Negotiator, Set It Off were all paced well) . now this one.

The way the movie started off, i was scared this movie was going to be another boring crapfest like The Score. But then it kicks into high gear.

Marky Mark was his typical blank self, but he fits in decently in ensemble casts. Charlize Theron took a break from her suffering wife/girlfriend roles to provide some energy to the movie. Ed Norton did another good job.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I want a MINI Cooper S. Now I wonder why I want one so bad? Could it be the 2-hour advertisement I spent $7 (Cloverdale is cheap) to go and see?

Stay tuned. Will the 6'4", 300 lbs man fit in to a MINI Cooper S? [Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-22-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, this movie is worth seeing just to see the Mini's do their thing. The copter in the parking garage was also a nice touch as well.
Mark

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ITALIAN JOB featured a strong sense of place during a chase, for once. Most chase films get it wrong geographically. It was clear here, though, as to which direction these people were travelling, and where they were. The film was well edited in this regard. Not a bad flick at all (and I usually HATE these kind of films).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-05-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got a chance to see this film.

Definitely one of the few films worthwhile seeing this summer. Well paced, and all around entertaining. [thumbsup]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News flash!

I fit in to a MINI Cooper. [Big Grin]

I want one bad now.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-01-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better late than never.

9/1/2003, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 4PM, house #17, SR and SR-D: Reels 1 & 2 played in SR, then right at the reel change it switched to SR-D, almost like it was cued that way (the trailers played in digital, then the feature started in analog). The print was obviously not new, but not completely trashed: Had some dirt and minor scratches throughout, except for about 10 secs. of reel 2 that was majorly scratched. Too bad they don't use FilmGuard because it might have really helped this print look better. Attendance about 50.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and I'm glad I finally caught up with it on its re-release. The car chase through the streets of LA (a lot near Hollywood & Highland) was very well done. Someone give the editor a bonus.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So were they able to break the "magic" 100 million dollar mark or are we going to have to keep it for yet another week?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-02-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was in 10th place overall for the weekend, did 3.something million, and broke $100M.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$3.94M+ for the four-day weekend -- #12 per Mojo. Turnout on Labor Day proper sent the total over $100M.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-04-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had gotten my figures from Yahoo. I just went back and checked again, and IJ is in fact now listed in 12th place, not 10th. Must have been some "adjustments" to the final numbers for the weekend or something...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-06-2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't play this on its first go round but we're playing it now. Good film.

But WHY do the credits begin while the movie is still ending?? The result is half the audience standing/walking/talking while the other half is trying to see/hear the ending. Whose dumb idea was that?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, why can't movies just say THE END and be over. These silly fade outs then a fade in later with credits is just annoying.

AJG

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 03:21 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, now I have to rent the original.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When will the original be available on region 1 DVD? All I've been able to find is an EP recorded VHS version. Still a great film!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: