Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » L'Auberge Espagnole

Author Topic: L'Auberge Espagnole
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-13-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a boring piece of crap! [bs]

OK, maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this, since I only saw this from the booth (as much as I could watch between changeovers for two shows), but I'll be damned if I would watch this again.

I don't understand why this keeps getting good reviews and doing good business.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap tends to do that. Especially "high brow" crap (pretty much the only thing that Landmark-type art theaters play). People think that they are supposed to like it and that it takes a great mind to appreciate and enjoy it. So they go in, think they love it, even though they probably did think it was crap.

People like that are stupid.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-13-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--what's wrong with Landmark's programming (yes, I spend most Thursday nights working for them)? I agree that L'Auberge Espagnole sucked, but I ran that at an independent single-screen, not at the Landmark 6-plex. Of the seven films that we were running there yesterday, I liked five of them (Spellbound, Raising Victor Vargas, Winged Migration, Blue Car, and Sweet Sixteen) and hadn't seen the other two (Nowhere in Africa and Respiro). That's a pretty good per centage of "good" titles. When I used to fill in at an AMC (ex-GCC) 5-plex, it was rare that they would have more than two "good" films.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I didn't think this movie was crap, it wasn't the greatest. It got me interested in interning in another country and as of right now I'm scheduled to intern in Spain for 6 months next year so I guess something good did come out of watching this [beer]

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie at a press screening a few weeks ago, and didn't think it was all that terrible. Although, I really don't like having to read movies. It's funny though because it's in a few different languages, but I guess that's the point. The film was definitely dry. Needed more [sex]

2 out of 4 stars from me!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 05:33 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UA Union Square, NYC, 6/14, 4:50 PM show. Hall #14, attendance ~125.

Man from Paris goes to Barcelona for a year at university. Needs a place to live. Finds a flat that has people his age -- from England, Germany, France and Italy. Study, eat, sleep, party, whatever. Boring? Could be but isn't. Enjoyable? Sure!

L'Auberge Espagnole is doing well for UA at Union Square. The show I was at had a crowd that was two-thirds college/career girls and one-third older adults. They especially loved it late in the film when somebody opened the bedroom door and found a male housemate in bed with his boyfriend. [Wink] Even though the dialogue kept shifting languages -- French to Spanish to English to Spanish to French -- it wasn't that hard to follow along.

Fox ought to do a remake. Just change the city to New York and the students' nationality to American. Instant mainstream hit!

Preshow: Union Square is now equipped to run The 20wenty. When The 20wenty ended the Regal logo stayed on screen for nearly a full minute before the booth started the 35mm projector. I thought for a moment the logo would be burned into the screen. [Roll Eyes]

Presentation: DV-to-35mm image rock-solid with random dirt at the changeovers. Sound was Dolby Digital yet warbled throughout -- I could hear it warble every time music came up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: