Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dumb and Dumberer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dumb and Dumberer
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This from the movie review on "Hollywood Homicide"...

quote:
I will start by saying that there is now a new winner for worst movie of the year. Bulletproof Monk is now off the hook.
Nope! Clearly you did not watch "Dumb and Dumberer" this week, for there is no way "Hollywood Homicide" could possibly be worse than this dumb piece of doo.

I know the title is "Dumb and Dumberer", which tends to imply that the movie will be dumb...but really now, I didn't even crack a smirk for the entire movie. This is truly dumb, and perhaps the biggest waste of time I have ever seen on a movie screen. (Yes, even On the Line starring Lance Bass was better than this! [Eek!] ) The only thing positive I can say about this film is that the casting was very good. Of course good casting and crappy everything else doesn't cut it.

Avoid this as if your life depended on it.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-13-2003 04:58 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're forced to watch this piece of [bs] make sure you don't miss the 'bathroom' scene. I think it's in reel four.

Other than that, this movie blows.

At least they went all out and got a crappy lab to print this crappy film. Really, is it not possible to make one out of 10 lab splices without fogging the film for 25 feet? [Mad]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, NOT printed on Kodak film. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-13-2003 12:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossable to focus the trailer - Is the actual movie out of focus too?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Really, is it not possible to make one out of 10 lab splices without fogging the film for 25 feet?
Would this be where the image grows completely white before the splice in the middle and then fade back to the image? If so, I saw this effect three times in the first reel of the X-Files movie. I had never seen this happen before or since.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 12:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Safelight" fog is usually magenta/cyan/blue in coloration (depends on the brand of film and the type of darkroom illumination used). If the print film had excessive exposure to the "safelight" during ultrasonic splicing of the raw stock, the fog usually spills across the full width of the image and soundtracks, and fades in/out depending upon how concentrated the illumination was. Fog can also occur on the head and tail leaders, as the film is threaded onto the printer. Or the wound rolls can be edgefogged by leaving them out under the safelights too long, usually just fogging the SDDS or Dolby Digital soundtrack area.

"White light" fog is usually yellow or brown in color, since the blue-sensitive layer of print film is so much faster than the other layers, forming yellow dye first.

Here is a link to a tutorial SMPTE Presentation I wrote about darkroom illumination:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/illumination/page01.blind

A clear area in the middle of a print may be due to a printer miscue or temporary failure of the printer light source, so the print film receives the wrong exposure:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h1/printing.shtml

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reviews guys... start a thread in Yak if you want for the rest.
Yeah, I know, I started it.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez I thought If Bob Saget starred in a movie it would for sure be #1! [Razz]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-14-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Saget was the best part of the whole film. His part at the end wasn't too great but the scene upstairs is great.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Brad I didn't see this movie (as I watched Holly Homicide instead). I have pretty much planned on avoiding this movie unless I had heard some good reviews. But It looks like I will never see this movie ever.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad.....is a kind word to describe this movie. How did ya like the black wax on his tooth??? Talk about low budget makeup effects. No one is laughing, and Hell...no one is coming to see it!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a theatre last night with the intention of seeing "Dumb and Dumberer". The manager (who knows me) asked "Are you really sure you want to do that?" I ended up watching "The Matrix Reloaded" (which I hadn't yet seen). You know the movie has to be terrible when you go to a theatre to see it and get talked into seeing something else. Anyway, I'm glad I saw "The Matrix Reloaded". This is a first -- going to a theatre with the intention of seeing a movie and getting talked out of it. I'm going to (try to) see this one again because now I'm really curious as to how bad it really must me. Who knows? I'll probably like it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 02:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Avoid this as if your life depended on it.
Hmmmmm, should I rephrase? [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a feeling we wouldn't be playing this when I saw the trailer. [puke]

Sometimes, there is an advantage to only having one screen!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't resist putting this here. Credit Mr Cranky http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/dumbanddumberer.html

This is largely a rhetorical question, but what is it going to take for Hollywood to discover the meaning of the word "shame"? As sequels go, "Dumb and Dumberer" has suffered more body blows than one of Mike Tyson's blind dates. The original directors, the Farrelly brothers, dropped out. The original stars, Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels, dropped out. The anointed screenwriters, South Park's own Trey Parker and Matt Stone, fled the project despite the fact they would have earned roughly a million dollars per fart joke.
At this point, any self-respecting studio would take the project out behind the barn, feed it a couple of sugar cubes and then shoot it in the head. As projects go, it's a spontaneous abortion. It's a transporter accident. It's cloning gone horribly awry.

This isn't any self-respecting studio, however. It's New Line Cinema, and apparently someone, somewhere deep in the bowels of New Line had the courage to stand up and fight to ensure that "Dumb and Dumberer" would shine its light to inspire a weary world. So where do you turn when Plan A is in shambles and you just need some hack to toss your Chernobyl frog of a project over the fence into the public realm so you can go ahead and take the tax write-off? Apparently you turn to director Troy Miller. He's from TV. He's just happy to be here. According to the Internet Movie Database, his next project is a TV movie called "Knee High P.I."

You also turn to Eric Christian Olsen and Derek Richardson, who, fresh from that one corner where the day laborers gather each morning, play Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels respectively. They meet in high school and lead a band of like misfits to thwart a scheming principal (Eugene Levy) and his lunch lady love interest (Cheri Oteri). Bob Saget also makes an appearance, which makes this film a veritable hospice house for the terminally unfunny. At least the cast saved me the trouble of deliberating about the rating, as I just consulted the Mr. Cranky Scorecard instead: Bob Saget in a movie, add one bomb. Any Saturday Night Live alumna in a movie, add dynamite, call it a day.

Just in case you're still considering seeing this abomination, let me unroll the cinematic biohazard tape and warn you that we're treated to a glimpse of Cheri Oteri's ass. It's but a brief, horrible second, but those twin cheeks will forever be burned onto the back of my retinas in an afterimage of horror.

Everything about "Dumb and Dumberer" is cheap, substandard and ultimately contemptuous of its audience. You can see the piece of frayed electrical tape stuck on Lloyd's tooth to make it look chipped. One of Levy's first lines as the evil principal is "I tape record everything that happens in this office." Guess what proves to be his undoing? The climax of the movie, if you could call it that, happens during a Thanksgiving parade that eschews the posh setting of main street, and instead winds its way around a school running track while three bored extras in the "crowd" clap anemically. Levy's busted, and his last desperate act is to grab a check and run away with it. A check! You can stop payment on a check, you morons! Regardless, everyone runs after him as though it were a pouch stuffed with uncut diamonds.

As the credits roll, we see some outtakes featuring actors' gaffes and deleted scenes. That's right, there were actual scenes deemed less funny than the ones that ultimately made it into this film. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be included on the DVD (available next week, I suspect), which I'll rent only if it includes a commentary track from test audiences -- though it may be tough to hear the dialogue over the unmistakable sound of an angry mob setting a theater on fire.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: