Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bruce Almighty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bruce Almighty
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-24-2003 02:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely no 'MASK' or 'Cable Guy', but it does have its moments.

Morgan Freeman is great, Jim Carrey and Jennifer Aniston are OK, but the plot just 'sucks'.

A couple scenes made me chuckle, but all in all, it's mediocre at best.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2003 06:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this more than Mask and Cable Guy! That being said, this is no Ace Ventura Pet Detective. The plot is completely predictable, just like all Hollywood films are, but there is enough humor along the way for an enjoyable 100 minutes.

(I kept wanting for Morgan Freeman to say "get busy living or get busy dying, that's God damn right" for some strange reason. [Big Grin] )

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better than Cable Guy. I think Steve Oedekerk's contribution to the script really punched up the jokes alot.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-25-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is better than Cable Guy. I'm not a Jim Carey fan, but I enjoyed this. It won't win any awards, but one could do much worse than this for a fun evening out.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-26-2003 12:43 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I would have liked it better if I hadn't have missed the first two reels. I forgot I missed those.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 05-26-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't especially care for Jim Carrey's style either, but I really enjoyed this movie. It was a good concept that I don't recall being done before (or for quite a while), and there were quite a few humorous moments in it where we laughed out loud. I could identify with some of the feelings in the movie as well, because some days things just don't go right, and I think the way he reacted was very similar to the way I would feel in the same circumstances. Morgan Freeman always spices up a movie, of course, and while I'm not really into the religion thing, it does have a message for those people who are always pissing and moaning about God and think they could do it better....

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2003/05/29, Carmike 10, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 1, THX/DTS, Flat

This movie exceeded my expectations. While I don't think it's Jim Carrey's best work, it's a good comedy and it had several scenes that made me laugh out loud. The rest of the audience enjoyed it too, with a good bit of laughter.

The test of how much I like a movie is after seeing it in the theatre, whether I want to see it again in the theatre, or whether I buy the DVD when it comes out. It doesn't quite hit the "want to see it again in theatres" mark, but it definitely hits the "will buy the DVD when it comes out" mark.

I've enjoyed nearly all of the Jim Carrey movies I've ever seen, and this one was no disappointment.

The presentation was marred by a DTS dropout problem every few seconds that started halfway through the movie. It wasn't just reel 3, but all reels thereafter. Most of the second half of the movie played in analog that had a distracting mild "talking under water" effect, as I mentioned in another thread about the DTS problem many are encountering with this movie.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie. During one scene in the movie I laughed myself to tears -so yes- I guess I liked it.
[Smile]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-30-2003 03:39 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was by far my favorite Jim Carey movie...but with that being said, the only other one I liked was The Grinch.

There were many moments where I actually laughed out-loud and you really can't get me to do that too often...so, yeah I liked it! [Big Grin]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just saw it and had fun with it.
Go see it for a throw away afternoon.

Brian Zeisler
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 04:30 AM      Profile for Brian Zeisler   Email Brian Zeisler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i havent seen it yet, but i hear that there is some phone number that people are calling that is given out during the movie that is supposed to be some direct line to god. any truth to this rumor???

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-04-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeed it is true. I called up God just last night. It's toll-free too! Call 1-800-YOU-ARE-GULLIBLE
[Roll Eyes]

This is a movie review forum Brian.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-05-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best part of this enjoyable romp is the scene with Steven Corell from "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart", when he is forced to "alter" his speech live on camera.

You could hear people gasping for breath from laughing too hard.

Dave

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably in the minority of people who actually think the Cable Guy is one of the better movies not only for Carrey but also for Mathew Broderick. Ben Stiller did a very good job directing that movie. Cable Guy has at least 3 sequences of pure genius compared to the typical Carrey movie which have funny scenes, but which are hardly funny for the entire sequence.
Personally, it is my favorite Carrey comedy and I hope Stiller and Carrey can get together on another movie.

Tom Shadyac,on the other hand, is one of the most annoying directors in Hollywood. I wanted that kid in Liar Liar to die and the director of that movie was Shadyac who really kills all the humor in his movies with over the top sappiness.

Bruce Almighty: The movie was OK, but it is more of a video rental. The movie never really approaches the energy of the trailer opening where Carrey lip synchs to that early 90s dance tune " ive got the power" or soemthing. The funnier moments are all shown in the trailer with the exception of Steven Correl's meltdown in the studio. The rest of the movie is just slow moving small town cliche ridden crap. A good cast was wasted. You would think they writers could think of funnier things that Carrey could do with his powers.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-08-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hint of hostility there? [Mad]

Take a breather man [Eek!] or get some [sleep] , or you just might bust a nut or something, which could keep you from [sex] .

I think regardless of the horrible shameful sweetness of this film, it still made UNgodly money [thumbsup] .

Dave [evil]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: