Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cremaster 3 (2002)

Author Topic: Cremaster 3 (2002)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-21-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell was this?

Imagine the sort of film that might be made by David Lynch on crack, complete with stunning sets and costumes, beautifully photographed, with almost no plot. I saw it a couple of months ago and am still trying to figure out whether or not I liked it, which I suppose means that it's worth seeing, at least. Not for the squeemish, though.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty surprised to see a review of this film on here, but I guess I shouldn't be since it is actually getting a theatrical release, a first for the Cremaster series. I ran Cremaster 3 a few times back in January, and am currently running the other parts of the series. I was really blown away by this film, but as Scott said, it isn't for everyone. It moves slowly, the plot is difficult to follow, and there is really dense symbolism in virtually every aspect of the film. I became somewhat obsessed with this after showing it. I started to research some of the Freemasonry references and became even more fascinated. It is a beautiful film with an incredible score by Jonathan Bepler. If you can appreciate the abstract and avant-garde, I would recommend taking a look at this film, as well as the other four Cremaster films. ( I should not that they were made out of order: 4, 1, 5. 2, 3) Cremaster 3 is the most fully realized of the series and stands as a magnificent masterpiece.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: