Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Matrix Reloaded (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Matrix Reloaded
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[what? no one else has watched it yet?]

Great action/popcorn/eye-candy/ear-candy flick. I enjoyed it more than the first (which was decent, but highly overrated). Reel 5 alone is worth the price of admission. Stay through the end credits for the trailer for the third installment. It isn't destined to become a "classic of world cinema," but it is lots of fun and should do very good business.

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it last night, but I was still under the impression that the rules of the forum were that we couldn't post a review until after it has been released to the general public?

Brian Zeisler
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 05:50 AM      Profile for Brian Zeisler   Email Brian Zeisler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thought y'all would like to know, this movie is already out on the internet, so much for that ad saying not to tape the movie [Roll Eyes]

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 09:55 AM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, are you serious? Unbelievable!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw an Exhibitor's screening on May 2nd. I enjoyed it but it didn't have the impact on me that the first one did. There were two things missing from the sequel.

1. There was no element of surprise. The first one had you being surprised along with Neo. In this one Neo wasn't surprised and neither was the audience.

2. The first Matrix had all kinds of sly and not so subtle historical movie references in it. This one didn't have any homage to other films. That's part of what made the first one special.

Monica Bellucci sure looked nice! [Smile]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off - I was wondering about the rule too. Anyways - I liked the movie. It really gives your brain some excercise, something that a lot of movies do not do. I will have to see it again to let the entire thing sink in.

As far as the movie being out on the net:

<RANT ON>
The film companies really need to wake up and look to their own people to blame. I have a friend who informed me that the copy of "Matrix: Reloaded" out on the net is the actual .DAT files from the film companie's (WB) computers. It is extremely obvious that the quality of these 'downloads' could not have come from a movie theatre but from someone on the 'inside' the film companies themselves.
<RANT OFF>

I will continue to honor all copyright laws and policies set forth from the film companies. But they really need to wake up.

"Matrix:Reloaded" is a great film!

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just happy that I screened this last night(Tuesday night) so I could find that I needed to replace reel 4. Of course, I'm not happy to replace it, but I'm happy that I can get the replacement ordered now rather than later. (I had to drive 6 hours round-trip to pick up my print a day early, but I was making the trip anyhow, so I didn't mind.)

About the movie...
Overall I really enjoyed it. Of course, since it is a sequel I wasn't left with the whole "whoa" [Cool] [Eek!] feeling like after I saw the orignal, but Reloaded compensated quite nicely for it. It added inmoreof an emotional aspect to everyone's lives, and of course, plenty of new eye candy [eyes] . If you're expecting to watch Reloaded and see the same angle on the story that you saw in Matrix(1), then you'll be disappointed. However, if you have been keeping up with The Animatrix releases to date, as well as the synopsis that have been released for those that can't be viewed yet, you will likely enjoy the movie even more than if you hadn't kept "in the loop."

Also, for those of you who don't know yet, after the credits, there is a "preview" of sorts for The Matrix Revolutions... Some stuff I've heard is incorrect, stating that there are 9 minutes of bonus footage, when it is more like 9 minutes of credits and 1 minute of "bonus footage".

Oh, and I did notice on the tail of Reel 7 that it is in SRD-EX.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screened it this morning, and it didn't live up to my expectations, might have been because I started feeling sick right before I started the movie. I've had time to think about it more since then, and watched about an hour or so of the end at our 10pm showing, and it became a completely different movie. I now really liked it, and I think that once the 3rd part is released, the 2nd will be much better, seeing as how both the 2nd and 3rd parts were filmed to be much like a 5 hour movie, rather than 2 seperate movies; whereas, the 1st was released as a standalone flick.

That being said, I still think that the first hour or so was really slow and dry, and the tribal dance/sex sequence went on way too long, and wasn't necessary. The final half is where the money is made, this part of the film is beautiful, and I really love the idea of exile programs and The Architect. Some of the CG was obvious if you were looking for it, namely when Neo is flying above the clouds at night, and also when he is fighting the goulag of Agent Smiths. The sound was great and the plot flowed smoothly, seeing as the first part had to be slow, and could not have worked any other way.

Overall 7.8/10

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 05-15-2003 08:39 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not watched the movie yet, but we ran a midnight showing this morning in two houses. One was a DTS house and the other an SDDS house. The SDDS mix blows the DTS one out of the water. There are many more "zings, zips and whooshes" in the SDDS version and our overall impression was much better. We weren't even taking full advantage of it, as this movie is set up in 8-channel SDDS and our system is only set up for 6 channels, but there was still a big difference in sound. I am waiting to see it until next week, because I will have company then that wants to see it too, and then I will give my opinion of the actual movie.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2003 11:15 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visual effects = A+
Storyline = D

There are at least two points in this movie that you can get up and leave for 10 minutes without missing anything but getting annoyed and bored. There are, however, at least two other chunks that are brilliant.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2003 11:26 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The SDDS mix blows the DTS one out of the water.
I'm hoping Regal is running it in SDDS-8 here because, for whatever reason(s), the SDDS sound in that particular house does indeed blow DTS and SRD out of the water. [Big Grin]

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a question for the film handlers forum, but it has to do with the Matrix Reloaded so...

I was watching this movie tonight, and it's a great action flick. However I was somewhat irritated by the sound (in Dolby Digital). I was sitting on the outer edge of the row (near the surround speakers). It seemed to mee as if there was missing some sound from the front (gun explosions too soft, motor engine too quiet, voices had too low volume), while there came too loud sound from the surrounds (maybe because I was sitting approxiametly 3 meters away of it... There was also lots amounts of background music from the surrounds at times. I thought this wasn't good mixing practice... Anyone else noticed this?

[ 05-17-2003, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Patrick de Groot ]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am in the minority when I say this but I was never impressed with the first "MATRIX" film. Despite it's agressive sound track and action on the screen, I was very bored by the film. I did make another effort to watch the film again when it was released on DVD because I might not have been in the proper mood when I saw it the fist time. Like the first time, I did find the film very boring and watched something else. I think I will save my money and catch the 2nd part when it comes out on DVD. I probably will see the IMAX version of the 3rd part just to get an idea how well the film look compared to the 35mm version.

-Claude

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allready on the net ??
Then our local hysteria could be cancelled.
Today, the reels 2=5 arrived in cardboard box with fake title, Next week reel 1,6 and 7 will be here - but don't put together until just before midnight opening next wednesday !!
It does not help, i'm afraid. What sort of yerks find it fun to make those copies to the net ? They're not earning on it - just spoiling. -And they've got to be in the business some way.
Only 3 danish prints are left of the first Matrix, circulating in big hurry to do a single show in as many theaters as possible. I'm having one of them saturday after the premiere to run a midnight double M 1 + M 2. -Not much pre-interest, though. Can last day of sale be earlier than 4 days from premiere ??

[Confused]

I second Claude's remarks on the first Matrix.
Just as the night, I screend "8 Mile", I was almost ready to resign. "I'm getting to old for this [bs] "

Per

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-17-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it Friday afternoon, Cinemark 17 in Springfield. Very good presentation, no serious complaints. I liked it, will probably see it again. The action sequences are among the best ever put on film. Scott Norwood or somebody said "great eye/ear candy". Exactly. Maybe among the longest credit crawls ever?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: