Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Basic guidelines for this forum

Author Topic: Basic guidelines for this forum
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone, please remember this is a movie review forum for current movies. Please remember the following:

Comments regarding the specifics of things you see and hear during the show are welcome, but for technical discussions, please use the Film Handler's Forum so these threads can stay on topic. (For clarification, your posts needs to have something "review" related to it.)

This forum is for reviewing movies out in theaters. Once the movie hits home video, please use the Afterlife forum for specific DVD format, etc reviews.

Yes you may post a review of a movie after the trade screening.

Thanks. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-27-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you MUST talk about specifics in the movie where part of the plot is revealed that hasn't been shown in trailers, etc, you must indicate what you are about to write may contain SPOILERS. A good way to do this is to make artificial "spoiler tags" in all caps and bold like so:

[SPOILER ALERT!]
Darth Vader is Luke's dad.
[/SPOILER ALERT!]

You don't have to do it exactly that way, that is just an example.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to add.

If you post a new movie, type the WHOLE title in.

For example:

The Terminal instead of just Terminal
Saved! instead of just Saved
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story instead of just Dodgeball

This will not only help with the search engine, but is more appropriate than just abbreviating the title.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
New policy, movies about politics are now off limits. Yes I'm sure this wipes out the Michael Moore library, but tough. No further discussion.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-27-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 792 days since the last post.

William Clark
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for William Clark   Email William Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[SPOILER ALERT!]
Darth Vader is Luke's dad.
[/SPOILER ALERT!]

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-27-2008 01:10 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 762 days since the last post.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-27-2008 01:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it technically possible to modify the spoiler alert thing to something that works more effectively?

Up to this point, I have actively avoided reading many reviews in this forum until after I've seen a certain movie because it is way too easy for spoiler text to ruin the movie despite someone creating a "hey, warning, this is a spoiler alert" thing in his post. I still see the lettering very clearly and can read the text in the spoiler almost instantly even if I don't intend to do so.

Certain participants in this forum often include spoilers with their reviews. And that kind of defeats the purpose of reading the thread at all until after you've seen the movie. You read movie reviews to find out if the movie is crap or not so you don't end up wasting a bunch of money and free time for nothing. But it absolutely sucks to an extreme if someone just insists on spelling out the certain good parts of a movie to make his comments seem more entertaining. News flash: the movie is almost always going to be more entertaining than any comments in a spoiler-laden review. That especially goes to an extreme if the movie is good. The good movie is always better. Now, a vicious review of a despicably bad movie can be entertaining too. But that's kind of a rarity.

Over at the Blu-ray.com forum, they have a pretty nice feature there regarding spoilers. If someone writes some text within a "[spoiler] [/spoiler]" tag all of the lettering within that kind of tag is blacked out so viewers cannot accidentally see what it says. They have to deliberately select it to see what it says. Is is possible to incorporate that feature into this forum? I believe it would be immensely valuable. The blacked-out, hidden text might goad more F-T participants into seeing certain movies to properly uncover the riddle behind that blacked out text without spoiling the movie.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2008 03:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a spoiler tag (and the code required for it to work) that just requires hovering your mouse cursor rather than actively highlighting. I also created an embeddable Youtube code (visit this thread at the-magicbox.com or www.sega-16.com to see all of my awesome crap in action). But this forum software is quite dated and would require Daryl to implement it in a custom fashion. Unfortunately he is currently fighting a privately funded war in Moslovia right now. If he survives, we'll see what happens.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 06:57 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Unfortunately he is currently fighting a privately funded war in Moslovia right now. If he survives, we'll see what happens.
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read, and I will have to remember to use it in everyday conversation, often.

Unless you forbid my usage of it. May I use it if I quote you? Do I need to pay you to use it? I don't mind paying.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby grant rights to limited usage. Do not exceed twice a day or face litigation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2008 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In asking some studio people what they thought about this proposed policy, I am now implementing it effective today regarding screenings.....

If you attend a pre-screening of a movie ("pre-screening" is to be defined as more than 48 hours before the movie's public release in your area of the world), you may NOT post a review of it UNLESS on a 1-5 star rating scale you rate it at a 3.5 or higher.

So in a nutshell, if you see a movie early and you like it, go ahead and post it to the world. If you see a movie early and it is a turd, it is not to be posted here until no earlier than 48 hours before its public release (of which you may then trash it as badly as it deserves).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: