Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Identity

Author Topic: Identity
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-25-2003 11:35 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/25/2003, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 7:15PM, #3,  - . Attendance >200, close to a sellout. This is one of only a couple auditoriums there with movable masking both top and sides. At the start, the side masking wasn't all the way open and the image was grossly overshooting on both sides. It was also not framed correctly (low), (but top masking was at correct height for scope). The manager was right there, got on the radio, and these problems were quickly fixed. However it seemed like the picture was a little soft, and it was also still overshooting the masking on the left by at least a foot, even after the masking opened up. Xlnt sound.

It's a dark and stormy night, and an assortment of slightly odd individuals check into a roadside motel to wait out the weather. Unfortunately, they pick Motel Hell! One by one, heads begin to roll (so to speak) and it's time to play Guess the identity of the killer! This seems to be following a formula when it starts, but it takes some very unpredictable twists and turns. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be surprised by the ending. I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense and trying to figure out what was going on. And I found it much scarier than, say, "The Ring".

Real scope, LOADED with anamorphic artifacts, and some scenes are composed to take full advantage of the wide frame. [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a nifty little thriller that kept me guessing throughout. I truly didn't see the ending coming until perhaps twenty minutes until the end, and while this premise was hardly original, it was a good diversion. This was a great exmaple of what used to be a programmer, part of a double-bill that was used to fill in gaps between major films. But considering the abysmal quality of films of this genre lately, this at least was entertaining from beginning to end.

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After some lamphouse problems we got that baby running correctly, I loved the story and the suspence was good, the acting was good too.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2003 05:04 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was directed very well. The way the movie starts off was pretty entertaining especially when you compare it with other movies in recent years that can't even show energy in standard thriller scenes. Ray Lliota is back in fine form and doesn't look as bloated as he did in some of his recent movies. Cusack was good and refreshing to see him take a break from his romantic whiny characters.

SEMI SPOILER:
When the first twist shows up, I was pretty pissed because then everything that followed was pretty meaningless for the viewers because we really dont care what happens to three of the characters. But when the second and final twist occurs, it helps us regain some sort of feelings towards the characters fates.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: