Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Holes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Holes
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/18/2003, Regal Valley River Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 4:30PM, #4,  - . Attendance about 40. Generally very good presentation but the reel-change splices looked bad. Very bright, sharp, detailed image -- looked great on the screen ('cept for those splices).

I haven't read the book, didn't really know what to expect. Well much to my surprise, I liked this a lot. It may be a PG-rated Disney film, but it's intellectually challenging and should appeal to both kids and adults who are capable of paying attention for 2 hours. Jon Voight is perfect as "Mr. Sir", same for Sigourney Weaver as The Warden. The kids are good without being obnoxious. The story and the characters have some dark corners that really make this memorable. Ummm, 4 stars out of 5.
[thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always, great review David!

I saw the trailer lots of times during the past few weeks and I was not very impressed with it that made me want to see the movie. With your favorable review, I might make an effort to see it. Thanks

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of David's points. This is a pretty good film, despite the lousy trailer. I question whether the kids will be able to completely follow the story, but nevertheless it is enjoyable. My only beef with it was that it did feel long during some of the flashbacks around mid-way through the movie. Those could have been shortened a bit and still gotten the point across, but overall this is one of the better films out right now. A good sound mix too. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 11:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I hope I'm wrong, I suspect this film is a little too demanding on the audience to be a big hit with the masses. It's not really a comedy, although it has some funny scenes. It's not really a crime drama, though it deals with some very shady adult characters. And it's not really just a kids' movie either, what with some of the adults meeting an untimely demise. The trailer definitely does not do the film justice, but this is probably a hard film to market. Maybe good word-of-mouth will help it.

Brad's right -- younger kids may have trouble following this. The flashbacks are a little confusing at first. But it all falls into place at the end. Even if young kids are confused by the flashbacks, they can still relate to the "present-day" stuff at the camp.

The cinematography (flat) is excellent and you really believe Camp Greenlake is out in the middle of a desert.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-19-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie remains remarkably faithful to the book. If your looking for a light read the childrens book "Holes" by Luis Sacher (of Wayside School fame) is reqlly quiet excellent.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2003/04/23 19:00, Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 6, DTS, Flat

I thought this was a good movie. It held my attention and interest the entire time (a good "measuring stick" for movie quality).

Several things:

1. If kids had to be out in the hot sun in a desert every day for many months, they'd have much much darker tans than those kids had.

2. The lizards that if they bit you, you'd die: why is it that CaveMan and Zero wer so scared of them when they were in the hole with them, and suddenly, they suddenly seem to lose their fear of the lizards and just start moving and come out of the hole without the lizards attacking?

3. How could "Camp Greenlake" operate without regular inspections? The holes would be very noticeable to anyone driving in. Would someone on parole be allowed to work at such a place to start with? Such a camp probably could not get away with treating kids the way they were treated in the movie.

4. Sentencing a teenage kid to 18 months for stealing a pair of shoes?

This was an enjoyable movie and I did enjoy the way the plot elements came together, but there were too many things that jump out at me as being wrong in this movie. Of course, if this movie is a straight implementation of a story from a book, then if the movie just follows the book, then it's OK. [Smile]

The presentation was flawless, as usual for this theatre.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-24-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, re: Point #1: I sometimes wonder why the participants in Survivor aren't sunburned beyond all recognition. [Wink]

Point #2: Didn't the 2 kids suddenly realize they were temporarily "immune" to the lizards because of all the sweet onions they had eaten? The story made a point of mentioning that the kids reeked of onions just prior to that scene with the lizards.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess I missed that about the onions and the lizard immunity.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-24-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's one of the reasons I liked the movie - it made me feel SO SMART that I figured that out. [Wink]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one terrific movie. It's great to see a "kids" film that is entertaining for grownups. I liked it a LOT. It passed all of my "tests"..interesting story, characters that you care about, etc.

The ONION is a very important symbol in this story. The entire movie is like an onion, as more and more of the story is revealed as the layers strip away.

HOLES, the novel, was the winner of the 1999 Newbery Medal, which is the "BEST PICTURE" award for children's literature. There is no higher award a children's book can receive. The author adapted his own work for the screen. (Pretty good work for a first screenplay!)

Newbery Medal books are typically written for students in grades 5-8, which typically includes chidren from 10-14. The story is not intended for young children.

Looks like this film will make some good money, as it was very inexpensive to make. We need more films like this one.

Just a couple of notes: Tim Blake Nelson REALLY speaks his words clearly, showing his stage training. Every word is very precise (and I loved the way the hat pulled down his ears.)

Also, Eartha Kitt has a very strange voice, but I don't think it is THAT strange. Sounded dubbed to me.

Anyway, this is a very very good film, and I'm really glad I saw it.

[ 04-25-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-25-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right. Settle down. Enough fun and games.

This movie SUCKS! Strangely enough, it also BLOWS! [puke]

The magical folks over at Disney have discovered how to make every 20-min reel seem to last an hour.

I will admit I left early but I feel that I gave the movie a fair shot. We were well into our third hour and nothing substantial was happening and, frankly, my open mind was closing down and I was "checking-out" emotionally. I haven't been this turned off of something since I got food poisoning from eating seafood.

"Holes" is aptly titled. Whenever I think of this movie I shall be reminded of its emptiness, shallowness. The characters are vapid and devoid of any semblance of humanity. I am tempted to describe the characters as caricatures but this would be inaccurate and too great a compliment to bestow upon this piece of trash. Caricatures tend to be two-dimensional and drawn in broad strokes. The people in "Holes" are one-dimensional. Even the big stars in this movie lack presence. I want to point out something that I found odd. With all of their words and their stupid little backstories, none of the main characters ever seemed to be saying anything and, yet, little Zero spoke volumes with practically no written dialogue.

Some kind of Technical Achievement award should be forthcoming for the inclusion of a mummified Eartha Kitt.

All I can say is "thank God that polyester can be recycled and the base of these prints have a chance to return as something better."

Do your audience a favor and leave your Xenon lamps in the OFF position.

My heart goes out to parents who have to take their kids to the movies to see this kind of crap. I went with a friend and admission cost $17.00. Coincidentally, a small portion of concession cost an additional $17.00. What must it cost to take a wife and three children to see a movie on a Friday night? I'm furious and I only spent $34.00; a small family could easily have spent $70.00!

So when you discuss in that other thread "why attendance is down" consider that it might be a case of diminishing returns to the consumer.

My condolences to the people who worked on this movie. The fact that it's doing a lot of business means nothing to them; high grosses will add nothing to their paycheck. The fact is that they have wasted time, money and energy making "Holes." More to the point, I was tricked into wasting time, money and energy watching "Holes."

Old man Walt must be rolling in his liquid Nitrogen cryogenic chamber!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-26-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny - Do you think there's any correlation between shaving off the beard and your sudden negative attitude toward fine family-oriented films? Seems like a stretch, but I don't believe in coincidences. [Wink]

Then again, I was probably the only member of f-t who LOATHED "Sweet Home Alabama" and walked out on it because it was making me angry. [Mad]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-26-2003 10:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary: How can anyone call this movie a "fine family film" ?

David: You may have a point there. Ever since I shaved off the beard -- and now the hair -- I have become a lot more negative in general. That smile on my face is the result of careful Photoshopping. The good news is that my hair grows very quickly.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this today, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The beginning was a bit slow, but it got going around the middle and was pretty entertaining. I also have to question how somebody can get sentenced to 18 months for stealing a pair of shoes, and a juvenile at that. Granted the shoes were for a charity to benefit the homeless, but that shouldn't make any difference.

6.3/10

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-01-2003 09:03 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a) It's a fil-making technique called "willing suspension of dissbeleif"

b) thoose shoes bellonged to the famouse baseball player, and the childrens shelter was planning to make a lot of money with them at a benifit auction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: