Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Johnny English

Author Topic: Johnny English
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2003 05:20 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Palace Balwyn Cinema (cinema 3) 7.00 P.M. session 14 April 2003.

Going to see this film yielded a pleasant surprise. At the end of the movie I noticed someone had left $5 in the drink holder in my wife's seat! Cool.

On to the film. After a disappointing effort with Bean, Rowan Atkinson has returned with a much better effort. Johnny English is another James Bond spoof.

The film drags a bit through the first 2/3. The jokes are a little predictable however the humour builds.

I found that the final scenes made this film very memorable. They are Rowan Atkinson at his best and are hilarious as well as action filled. Arguably these scenes are some of the best comedy I have seen this year.

Natalie Imbuglia does a servicable job although her acting skills could improve. John Malkovich does a servicable french accent to pass as the French baddie.

I won't spoil it for viewers - you just have to see the final scenese of the film. Suffice to say, the humour is very anti-French! The French come in for an absolute mountain of sarcastic humour. I think these scenes will go over well in the USA given recent political events.

The scenes involving the Queen (who makes a cameo appearance [Smile] ) and the speed camera are great also.

My verdict 8/10 Very enjoyable.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
British radio phone poll, "Top ten things we love about the French, and we are still waiting for your call."

Johnny English; "The only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion."

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to say, the othervise great Malkovich to me is the only minus in this fine agent-thriller spoof. Many jokes are lovingly stolen from Peter Sellers, and that's fine with me. When watching any kind of Bean, You're not here for renewal, but John Malkovich trying to give his bad guy the french accent of Inspector Clouseau is downright painful.
Whole film never reach the hights of its Blake Edwards model, but still entertains beautiful. I really enjoyed it at my sole test run, as do my custumers every night.
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] (of six)

p.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed to me a mishmash of James Bond, Leslie Nielsen and (as Per points out) Inspector Clouseau.

It also seemed to me to have been thrown together at the last minute in order to capitalise on war-inspired anti-French sentiment. Malkovich was an OK villain, but Alan Rickman would have done a better job, IMHO.

The only real let-down for me was Natalie Imbruglia, supposedly playing an upper-crust English gal. Slipping into an Australian accent every three sentences wasn't very convincing!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-20-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda liked it. It got a little slow for about half an hour but finished alright. If you want to see it, I wouldn't make a big effort to see it in a theatre, unless of course you don't own a television, then you should probably see it in a theatre. [Smile]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Hamilton, 7/19, 5:45 PM matinee. Hall #16, attendance ~75 -- lots of family groups and older adults. AMC benefited from pairing the trailer with Finding Nemo.

This didn't start off slow! Based on events of the past week -- the movie didn't open in the US till now -- Johnny English begins in a very auspicious way. (See my WMD post in The Political Arena.)

Secret agents offed in mysterious ways! The Prime Minister is in a lather! Who ya gonna call?

Another picture that "Film Snobs" hate and moviegoers love. Everyone got a laugh at the bishop bareing his bottom in the cathedral! Also, any movie that uses ABBA songs to good effect is worth my while.

The "Film Snobs" think Johnny English is a flop. It's already cleared the equivalent of $100M overseas and the US take will be pure gravy. Most theaters with Johnny English have only 1 print; the AMC Hamilton opened 2 -- in fact, the next show after this one (7:05) sold out per the showtime board.

Heartily recommended, chap.

Presentation: Image good -- though on 2 of the changeovers there was an early splice at the first cue mark. Sound was excellent in Dolby SR. The thread in Features and Showtimes correctly says Johnny English does not have SDDS (end credits only say DTS/Dolby Digital).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: