Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Laurel Canyon

Author Topic: Laurel Canyon
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Hamilton, 4/5/2003, 5:15 PM matinee. Hall #17, attendance ~50 -- excellent turnout for an arty film doubled up in its 2nd week.

Long version: Jane is a famous record producer in L.A. Her son just graduated medical school and goes out West to be an intern in the psycho ward of a local hospital. His girlfriend tags along yet needs some space to finish her PhD dissertation. That space is upstairs in Jane's place. Jane also has over this band that's cutting an album in her home studio. Not only that, the band's record label is on her ass because the label wants a single out for Xmas.

Short version: Sex 'n' drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll.

Frances McDormand has a star turn as Jane. Otherwise this movie is eminently forgettable. Laurel Canyon finishes what Nirvana and their cohorts in Seattle started -- expose L.A. rock for the shallow scene it was/is.

Presentation: Image looked kind of soft -- a blowup from 16mm? Sound lacked punch -- I've seen more arty pictures with better sound mixes. Also, Laurel Canyon was on 7 reels when it could easily have fit on 6. R1 and R7 were both short. [Embarrassed]

AMC set up a good preshow. Trailers ran arty-mainstream-arty-mainstream-arty (Le Divorce, Holes, The Good Thief, Bruce Almighty, Confidence). Ahhhh, 2 French-set pix among the 5, both going out via Fox in the US. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was utterly non-enjoyable for me and the group I was with. After it was over, we lamented the fact that almost two hours of our lives were spent watching this.

Frances McDormand did a great job of acting, but that doesn't matter when the story is a dead-end.

The one highlight, though, had to be the eccentricity of the lead singer, Ian McKnight. His comic relief helped keep us from leaving early due to impatience.

Highly unrecommended.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-09-2003 10:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this and rather enjoyed it. No, it's not likely to be remembered in twenty years, but the performances are excellent and the film does an excellent job of setting the right mood for the audience, with a nice dose of humor mixed in with the sex and drugs. Frances McDormand is great, as always.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: