Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shaolin Soccer

Author Topic: Shaolin Soccer
Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a preview of this movie and it looked decent enough, so I d/led some of it off of KaZaa, considering that it came out in Hong Kong in 2001. There were no subtitles and it was all in Cantonese, so I decided to buy the DVD from an Asian media e-store (I was bored and had some cash to blow).
This movie is not for everybody. Pretty much if you like old Kung-fu movies or cheesy comedy ala Kung Pow!, you'll like it. The translations can be pretty iffy at times. There is a part where the coach tells the team to "kick the soccer", since this is an American translation and we use the term soccer instead of football, which would have worked. I guess you could call this an Engrish translation. The plot line is pretty coherent and the film is just really cheesy, but not in an overbearing way. The kung-fu is excellent, but there are parts that are blatantly CGI. Good film that I'd reccomend to anybody looking to kill about 2 hours. 6.8/10

Note: this movie is coming out in theatres in the States in August 2003, but it will be dubbed and shortened from its original length of 112 minutes to ~81 minutes.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 03:22 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
81 minutes?!? That is terrible. I for one, loved the movie. We're showing the Miramax version at the Wisconsin Film Fest next week. I'm curious to see if they changed all of the music and butchered the movie any further. Ridiculous.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-21-2004 10:25 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 425 days since the last post.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy this movie has some life to it!

I caught it a few weeks ago in downtown Washington DC at the Landmark E-Street Cinema. Great film, I really enjoyed it.My only complaint was the print was in atrocious shape. Big Huge Green Scratches througout the film. I am glad I got to catch it on the big screen though. The E-Street Cinema is a beautiful Theatre too.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this movie a couple of weeks ago at the Madstone in Atlanta. It was subtitled and edited down to nearly 90 minutes. I guess that is preferable to the dubbed version that was initially tried out by Miramax.

Fun cheesy movie (with the emphasis on cheesy). I don't understand the hype. The FX looked cheesy, but they don't bother you because of the tone of the movie. It was funny to see computer generated English signs in place of the Cantonese signs in the original. And someone get me those "American drugs" the Team Evil takes so I can break some HR records in baseball.

A good fun movie.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-23-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with the other comments. This was fun. I ran the 90-ish-minute US version. I'd be interested to know what was cut out. Recommended.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: