Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

Author Topic: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard for me to believe there is not already a review thread for this movie. (I did search, using several of the terms in the title and it turned up nothing).

A friend and I watched this movie last night and we enjoyed it as much as we ever had before. This is one of those classic comedies that is fun to watch again every now and then. This movie came out in 1999 and it doesn't seem like it's almost 4 years old now. This was the second time I'd shown this movie on my 16:9 57" projection set and I believe Austin Powers 2 to be one of the most colorful movies out there. There are lots of deeply saturated colors in many scenes, and the quality of the DVD transfer was excellent. I believe this to be a movie that people will still be watching and laughing at 20 years from now. In my opinion, this was the best of the Austin Powers trilogy.

I love how so many of the visual gags in the movie make use of the "scope" aspect ratio (for example, with Dr. Evil and Mini-Me doing the simultaneous "quotation" "fingers"). Movies like this make me thankful for DVD and original aspect ratio versions of most movies being available for home viewing.

If any of you somehow missed seeing this movie during the past 4 years, I highly recommend getting a group of friends together and watching it. Don't worry if you haven't seen the other Austin Powers movies! This one can stand on its own!

Now if I could get the opening theme music (the music from the dance bit that appears at the beginning of all the Austin Powers movies) out of my head... [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie the first time I saw it but not anytime since. Most of the jokes you can only really laugh at only once. And to top it off Heather G. acting is so bad to the point of being distracting.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2003 10:49 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Austin is really silly and so are most of the jokes (some of the jokes are so bad they're painful), but this, combined with the bad acting you mention, makes the thing that much funnier. This kind of movie isn't for everyone (for example, I have one particular friend that doesn't like many comedies), but it has worked for nearly everyone I've shown it to.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She is hot though. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: