Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Asterix et Obelix Mission Cleopatre

Author Topic: Asterix et Obelix Mission Cleopatre
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 7.15 P.M. 15 March 2003 George Cinemas, St Kilda, Melbourne (as part of the Melbourne French Film Festival)

After a brief walk inside Luna Park (I hadn't visited there before) I wandered along to the George cinemas to see this Asterix sequel. The theatre was sold out but fortunately I had reserved tickets. The theatre was also packed.

First a note about presentation. I found the George cinemas acceptable but the sound quality seemed poor [thumbsdown] compared to the good quality scope image put on the screen. I hope that the organisers of the Festival can find a cinema next year that will give a better presentation of these films. Given the strong demand for these films I think the Rivoli with its art-deco construction and spacious cinemas would be ideal.

Mission Cleopatre is a sequel to the very popular film 'Asterix et Obelix Contre Cesar' which starred Roberto Benigni. As its title suggests the story is largely set in Egypt and this provides the perfect setting for judicious use of "The Mummy" style digital effects.

The cast has a legion of top-line French comedians including

- Gerard Depardieu (the perfect actor to play Obelix)
- Christian Clavier (of Le Splendid fame)
- Jamel Debbouze (of Amelie fame)
- Isabelle Nanty (of Amelie fame)
- Jean Reno (as a hapless pirate)

Watch out for a cameo by Mattheu Kassovitz (of Amelie fame)

This film remains faithful to the original Asterix style of humour but director Alain Chabat (who also hams it up as Caesar in the film) extends this style of humour beyond the original comic book with great results. Chabat uses the Asterix as a story to parody Western pop culture, popular Hollywood blockbusters, Kung Fu movies (a very humourous and entertaining 'Crouching Tiger' fight scene) , the tourism industry, and workplace relations. To some extent the sheer volume of jokes, parodies and humour distracts a little from the focus on the two main characters but nonetheless the result is a very, very funny and entertaining film. The judicious use of digital graphics works well in this comic book setting and nobody will mind the cartoon look of some effects.

In terms of style Chabat is also not afraid to switch to animation at one point in the film as well, to good effect. The very neat blending of animation and live action not only works well but is arguably quite artistic.

What is probably the most pleasing thing is that film is accessible to an English speaking audience without necessarily having made compromises (eg as in the forced use of English in 'Ma Femme Est une Actrice') to try to make a French Film palatable to an American audience. Rather the film utilises those elements of American pop culture that would be familiar to anyone who watches American films (as most French people would) as a satirical base. Had the film been made in Italian, or any other western language it would have made no difference. The point is that the satirical elements would be familiar to all ie as in anyone who has ever stepped into an elevator in a major city.

The film had a huge budget, a stellar cast of stars and a strong script and is arguably one of the funniest films ever produced by the French. This is not subtle comedy - much of it results in real belly laughs and will have an audience in tears from laughing so hard. It is not only a great film - it is a 'must have' in any collector' film collection.

The film, given its special effects and cinemascope presentation, is best seen is a good quality theatre with, hopefully, a good quality sound system. The ecletic mix of Italian, French and American pop songs used will be familiar to most people.

I might add that you don't need to be an Asterix fan to get enjoy this film. Rather the Asterix premise is used as base in this film, to have a dig at western pop culture and this makes the film enjoyable by, and accessible to all.

I might add that this film is rated 'G'. This surpised me given a bit of black humour (very, very French) concerning a very cute fluffy lamb and rather hungry crocodiles at the beginning of the film. I'll say no more than that! [Eek!]

Rating 10/10 [thumbsup]

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comment about this movie !

I was affraid that some peoples in USA din't understoud the humor of the freature, because some dialogs and jokes can't be translated in English. Tis picture is Indicated for really Asterix & Obelix big fans.
For me it was a great piece of distraction and laught for everyone [Smile]
More than ten times in the theater who I'm working, the shows was sold out.....

Thank you for your apreciation and analysis, and sorry for my weak english...

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Thanks for your comment about this movie !

I was afraid that some peoples in USA din't understoud the humor of the freature, because some dialogs and jokes can't be translated in English. Tis picture is Indicated for really Asterix & Obelix big fans.
For me it was a great piece of distraction and laught for everyone
More than ten times in the theater who I'm working, the shows was sold out.....

Thank you for your apreciation and analysis, and sorry for my weak english...

Cher Jean-Michel

Il n'y a pas une problème avec ton anglais. C'est trés bon. [Cool]

J'ai trouvé que le film Mission Cléopâtre etait un film accessible aux Français et aux Americains les deux. Les raison pour ça est le film a une humeur fondé sur la culture americaine, mais une humeur familiere aux Français et aux Americains les deux. Le film utilise quel que musique americaine, italienne et française. Il y a quel que chose pour tout le monde.

Quel que humeur est fondé sur les plaisanteries du mots, mais j'ai trouvé que les gens qui ont fait les sous-titres ont creé
nouvelles plaisanteries pour la traduction anglaise. [beer]

J'espère qu'il y aura beaucoup de sequelles! [Big Grin]

Salut

Peter

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-16-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who didn't quite get the above, it translates roughly to:
quote:

Dear Jean-Michel There is not a problem with your English. It is very good. I found that the film Mission Cleopatre was a film accessible to both the French and Americans. The reason for that is the film has a mood based on the American culture, but a mood familiar with both the French and the Americans. The film uses American, Italian and French music. There is something for everyone. (What mood is created by the jokes of the words-?), but I found that the people who made the subtitles made new jokes for the English translation. I hope that there will be many sequelles!

Peter, in the future if you'd like to send a message in a language other than english please use the private messaging feature. Posting in French (or any other language) just annoys the hell out of the many members who can't read it.

Thanks!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Daryl

I wasn't aware that it was a rule here that we had to use english but if that is the convention so be it. I suppose also that there is a bit of anti-French feeling over your way as well at the moment.

Returning to the subject matter I'd be interested to hear how Mission Cleopatre has been received in the US. It seesm to me to be a very commercial film and one that would be very accessible to a US audience. The only difficulty might be that a lot of Americans might not like the subtitles. Obviously the political situation won't be helping matters.

Comments please?

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: