Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Right Stuff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Right Stuff
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the shuttle disaster, my friends and I decided to have a space theme for our get-togethers for two or three weeks. "The Right Stuff" was a movie I wasn't aware of. I was really surprised after seeing it, and finding out that it came out in 1983, that this one slipped by me back then.

I thought that this movie told a neat story of how the space program started, from pilots trying to break the sound barrier for the first time in a plane to orbiting the earth in a space capsule.

This was a long movie but it held my attention, and everyone I've talked to that has seen this movie has had a high opinion of it. I felt the movie needed to be long to get all the detail in place as the story moved along. When it was over, in a way, I was hoping it would continue on to the moon missions. The movie made me want to learn more about these early astronauts (in the same way that seeing "A Beautiful Mind" made me want to learn more about John Nash).

This is a movie worth owning on DVD. I was surprised that this movie was shot in "flat" format rather than "scope" like most movies of this type are.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-10-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this movie in a long time but I do remember that it was really good. Now if I only had a 35mm print of it... [Smile]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 01:01 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now if I only had a 35mm print of it...
Why settle for 35mm when 70mm prints were made??? The 70s would certainly do a better job showcasing the film's Oscar-winning music score and sound mix (even if faded and scratched at this point).

For the home theatre crowd, a Special Edition DVD is in the works....

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the 70mm prints preserve the "flat" aspect ratio, or were they vertically cropped or panned and scanned to 2.20:1?

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"flat" preserving the original 1.85 ratio. In this era of 70mm blow-ups, I can only think of "Rocky II," "Rocky III" and "War Games" as being blown-up to full 70mm 2.2 width (from flat 35mm photography. At least, of the ones I saw (and I saw most of the blow-ups in the 70's in L.A.)

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In this era of 70mm blow-ups, I can only think of "Rocky II," "Rocky III" and "War Games" as being blown-up to full 70mm 2.2 width
Rocky II???

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul wrote:
quote:
I can only think of "Rocky II" , "Rocky III" and "Wargames".
Paul where did you see "Rocky II" in 70MM in Los Angeles?

"Rocky II" played at the Regent and Plaza in Westwood and
Hollywood Pacific in Hollywood.

Maybe your thinking "Rocky IV".

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Rocky III (Chinese III) and Rocky IV (main Chinese). (I always get my sequel numbers mixed up).

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trivia...
At the Happy Bottom Riding Club...The little bar tender guy with the funny hat was Chuck Yeager. He appears a couple of times briefly

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"F#*kin' A, Bubba!"

I saw this in the theater way back, and it was so grand, it gave me goosebumps. The Bill Conti score is inspiring, and it's a shame they never released a soundtrack album (or CD).

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Bill Conti score is inspiring, and it's a shame they never released a soundtrack album (or CD).
I seem to recall a soundtrack being available on the Varese Sarabande (sp?) label paired up with another film.

There's a very good recording of the main theme included on the Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops CD compilation Star Tracks II (Telarc; CD-80146).

Hillary:
Something tells me you have the Xena: Warrior Princess soundtrack. [Smile]

[ 03-12-2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-11-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundtrack: The Right Stuff -- North and South

-

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 05:35 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! It must have taken a few years after the release of the movie to get that album out. At the time, I had no luck finding music from this movie. I think "Blade Runner" had the same problem, and a re-recording of the score was released. Since it's not the actually soundtrack recording, I wonder how this one compares. I'm guessing it's equally majestic.

And Michael, you are mostly correct about the Xena soundtrack. Can you believe that there are actually SIX volumes of music from the series? Now the more unbelievable part: I ONLY HAVE FOUR! At some point, I may get around to acquiring the other two. What I enjoyed most about that show were the feature-level production values including the music. The composer, Joseph LoDuca produced 135 hours of music for the series, and it is fantastic. There are many passages reminiscent of Korngold, Hermann and others from Hollywoood's golden era, as well as Dvorak, yet much is also unique.

One reviewer called "The Right Stuff" " 'Animal House' in space" which was very unfair. Even if they thought the storyline concentrated too much on the Mercury 7's monkeyshines, the music surely elevated it to a sweeping American epic.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Right Stuff will be the opening film at next month's Overlooked Film Festival aka Ebertfest with Phil Kaufman scheduled to attend.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-12-2003 10:26 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary

"THE RIGHT STUFF" with music from "THE NORTH & THE SOUTH" has been available for years and is one of my favorites. The finale is the best and features music that reminds me of Gustav Holst's "THE PLANETS" and the Polonaise from Peter Ilitch Tchaikovsky's opera "EUGENE ONEGIN". The score actually did use some music from the "PLANETS" as well as Claude Debussy's "CLAIR DE LUNE" It is a pity that the entire soundtrack is not available because what is on the CD is only a concert suite of the Academy Award winning score.

By the way, Warner Brothers Home video will be releasing a two disc special edition DVD of "THE RIGHT STUFF" later this year and will replace the 'flipper' which has been available for years. The new edition will be very much like the reissued DVD of "AMADEUS" with a lot of extra materials on the production of the film as well as other 'Right Stuff'. Sorry for that pun [Smile] .

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: