Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pulgasari

Author Topic: Pulgasari
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone seen this? I have ordered the video from the United States (In NTSC unfortunately) as this is a film that has interested me for a while.

In case you are wondering what the hell I am talking about, Pulgasari is a 1985 film produced in North Korea. yes this film is from the Axis of Evil (No not another Baz Luhrmann film - the other Axis of Evil).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Pulgasari-1102243/preview.php

Apparently North Korea abducted a South Korean director and his wife and forced them to make a number of movies, of which Pulgasari was one.

Have a read of the following article as well

http://www.tabloid.net/1998/07/09/monstermovie_980709.html

Note the following paragraph

"Cinematographer Cho Myong Hyon is a clever guy -- to make Pulgasari look bigger, Cho projects the monster onto a drive-in movie screen. Then the actors run in front of the screen. Once or twice, the movie shows Ami and Sniveler standing in front of an enlarged, out-of-focus, still photograph of Pulgasari. (In a country as poor as North Korea, such relentless economy must be fine to see; in the civilized world, it is something else entirely.)"

Now think about it. Does this mean they have a drive-in theatre in North Korea?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: