Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 8 Women

Author Topic: 8 Women
Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-06-2003 09:37 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got the chance to see this French film that we had running at my theater months ago. This is the story of 8 women living in one house when the only man of the house turns up murdered, a whodunit of sorts. It was cute and unique at best. Watching it, I felt mixed emotions on the film. If you do not like musicals I would not suggest this. At random parts in the movie the women would just jump out and start singing. For someone who loves musicals (like me) this is fine, and it was quite fitting at times but it just didn't have the right feel to it at others -- not to mention that not all the women are the best singers. The end was crude and unexpected which is a good thing but it left the movie feeling a bit weak. Overall I liked it but if you do not want to hear women bicker for 1 hour and 38 minutes then I would not suggest it! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rachel,

Do you realy liked this movie ? I hate it ! Singing part are for me a non-sense in this kind of movie. I Understoud nothing at the history..!
For me it was the most sad movie I've seen from month....
But the most funny was in my 7-plex theater: all shows was sold out. the movie in Europe was succesfull. Only for oltimer peoples....
But worst was when my CP 650 lost all sound... I switched it to bypass.

You see, diferent kind of movies diferent kind of peoples [Smile]

Ok enjoy the movie, and sorry for my really bad English.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2003 08:45 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn`t it make a nice double bill
with SEVEN WOMEN by John Ford?
[Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-10-2003 05:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Overall I liked it but if you do not want to hear women bicker for 1 hour and 38 minutes then I would not suggest it!
That criterion would also rule out a large proportion of the French film industry's output! Annoyingly I missed this one, but intended to see it. Ozon's previous film Sous le Sable (Under the Sand) was a complete masterpiece. Not exactly cheerful and difficult to watch in places, but incredibly convincing.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-11-2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie and saw it three times. I thought it was very funny and witty. Not knowing that they were going to sing, I was taken by surprise and the singing was very cute.
This is of course a showcase for eight great French actresses and I enjoyed the acting and photography. It was all very stylish or even stylised and for me is an example of French cinema at its best.
I am sure Greg would enjoy it too.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-12-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That criterion would also rule out a large proportion of the French film industry's output!
True Leo, maybe thats why I liked it...it hit close to home! [Smile]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2003 01:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was eger to sit though this film. I just love all these French Actresses. But ultimatly the film left me cold. It just wasn't that good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: