Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » "GODS AND GENERALS"

Author Topic: "GODS AND GENERALS"
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 03:46 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet seen this film but will watch it tomorrow at the Ward 16 Theatre in Honolulu. I will post my comments about the movie after I see it. Meanwhile, I just want you to know that the public is enjoying the movie based on the report by CinemaScore this morning. Young people under twenty one scored it the highest with A and A-. The next age group of people 21 to 34 scored it a B and B+. The next group 35 and over gave it a B score. The critics blasted this movie but my taste in movies has always come very close to CinemaScore's reports. I know I will enjoy the movie.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
02/22/2003, Cinemark 17 Springfield OR, 12:05PM, #13,  - . Attendance ~100. Excellent presentation -- no complaints, image & sound quality both first-rate. I only noticed 2 lab splices, and there were no digital sound dropouts. Overall print quality was very good. The box office was advising customers of the 4-hour running time. The 12 min. intermission had lights up and lights down cues properly placed, with no non-sync music or slides. [thumbsup] The audience seemed to appreciate the break, but unfortunately an older gentleman with a cane lost his footing on the stadium steps and went down. [Eek!] Several people went to assist him and he didn't seem injured, but I bet beads of sweat break out on the theatre GM's forehead whenever that happens.

It's easier for me to rate the presentation of this film than it is the film itself. It wants to be an important, serious historical statement, and to that end it's very very "talky" with lots of speechifying. I take it from this movie that those Civil War generals never missed an opportunity to philosophise about this that or the other aspect of war, courage, duty, country, the evils of slavery, etc. I haven't read the book but I bet most of this dialog is lifted directly from it. It just sounds "bookish". Maybe all this talking would have worked better for me if there were more "name" stars in the lead roles. Anyway, the battle sequences are well-done but nothing we haven't seen before. Cinematography is good. Excellent sound mix. Ted Turner stands out like a sore thumb in his cameo and ruins that brief scene he appears in -- what a dork.

Overall I didn't hate this and it didn't bore me, but it didn't blow me away either. It's more like I respect the effort that went into making it, but wish they'd made something slightly different.

I may be imagining things, but the last 2 movies I've seen at Cinemark 17 have sounded very good, as if the auditoriums have been re-eq'd recently. [Cool]

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2003 08:20 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this movie, although I understand that it will not be everyones cup of tea. As much as I hate to admit, unless you at least have a decent knowledge of the Civil War and are really into it (I am a Civil War nut), this movie might seem to drag.

But at the same time, "Gods and Generals" is the closest to portraying the true South and its people and thier way of life since "Gone With The Wind". None of the Civil War movies (including Gettysburg) in the past 30 or so years have taken that stance, IMHO, due to political correctness. There is no overwhelming focus on the issue of slavery, and it shows the southern point of view for a change. While I believe that the religious aspect was thrown in a bit too much, Jackson was a very religious man and I could see him doing what he does.

I think the script could have been done much better as well as the editing, which unfortunately is what many people will center in on as the major fault to the movie.

IMHO, if you are interested to see the truest interpretation of the 19th Century southern plantation aspect of the Civil War put to film that is not portrayed in your history books and popular culture, see this movie.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-22-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific Kapolei 16 Theatres: House #12 Sound: DTS
Auditorium Capicity: 200 Total No. at first show today- 48

I was planning to see this film at the Ward 16 but changed my mind and saw it at a complex near me, Consolidated (Pacific) Kapolei 16 at the very first show this afternoon. After four commercials which started five minutes before the actual show time, there were four trailers before the feature started. The print I saw of "GODS AND GENERALS" was very pristine with no scratches. The DTS sound was excellent. I only have two minor problems with the presentation that had noting to do with the film but with theatre operation. First, when it was time for the intermission, the house lights was never turned on during the break. People who had to go to the bathroom or the snack bar, had to maneuver their way out of the auditorium in the dark. The second problem was the theatre staff starting to clean the auditorium during the end film credits. I can understand if the starting time for the next show was in half an hour and there were people already waiting for the next show and anxious to be seated but with a two hour break before the next show, the rush to clean the auditorium during the tail end of a performance was ridiculous!

As I had mentioned, the presentation was great and so was the movie. Perhaps I am a bit biased because of my interest in the American civil war but even if I was not, the movie would have still held my interest. Yes, I agree, the movie was a little talkative but I had no problem with that. What each charecter had to say was very interesting and I was not bothered by it. The only thing I can find some fault with the movie was the acting by some of the cast members. The way they delivered their lines reminded me of the way actors do during a live stage performance. It bothered me at first but I soon forgot about it. Becoming very familier with the film's musical score from the original soundtrack CD made me enjoy the movie even more. Beside the film score on the soundtrack CD, the movie had a lot of other music that was not on that recording which I hope is released on another CD like they did with "MORE MUSIC FROM GETTYSBURG", a follow up to the "GETTYSBURG" CD. If you can spare about four hours of your time and see "GODS AND GENERALS" , you will see a very good historical drama and get a good American history lesson at the same time.

-Claaude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I had mentioned in my review, I really like "GODS AND GENERALS" and enjoyed the film very much. There is only one thing about the film that bothers me and that is the use of GOD in plural in the title of the film. The movie was about General Thomas "Stonwall" Jackson who was a very devout Christian and I find it very strange when the producers titled the film "GODS AND GENERAlS" instead of "GOD AND GENERALS". In the first of Ten Commendments the Lord gave to Moses, he said--

"I, the Lord am your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, the place of savery. You shall not have any gods beside me-----. For I, the Lord, your Lord, am a jeaous God"

Forgive me for bringing reigion into the discussion of this film but I thought you might find my point interesting.

-Claude

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I haven't seen the film yet and have been following these reviews to see if I want to. (An almost 4 hour movie that is really boring is not what I want to be caught in. So far, the reviews here and in Cinemascore are encouraging.)

From the preview, I got the impression that each side thought their God was behind them, thus the title "Gods and Generals". In reality, though, each side worshiped the same God. I don't know how much of this aspect is played out in the movie, but it seemed like a good premise for an interesting storyline.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go on record as saying Gods & Generals is a well-made and interesting historical drama. It falls short of being an "entertainment" though, which is fine since that doesn't seem to be what it's trying to be.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-23-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,

"PEARL HARBOR" was another film that was trashed by almost every critic but got a very good grade at CinemaScore and everyone I know loved the film. I have personally found CinemaScore a very reliable guide when selecting films to see. It does appear that critics prefer films that have high artistic values and usually pan films that are directed to mainstream audiances. If you usually wind up agreeing with critics that had rendered a negative opinion over CinemaScore and many of your friends favorable findings after seeing a film, you should rely on the critics call. If it's the other way around, than trust the general opinion and see the movie and make up your own mind.

Regarding the religion of both the South and the North, they were the same because everyone no matter they lived were citizens of one great republic and shared the same reigious beliefs before the terrible carnage that almost destroyed our country.

-Claude

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The concept that each side believed God was on their side was very evident in the film. I found that fascinating and it amplified the tragedy. The fact that such carnage could be wrought by people who ostensibly believe in the same thing is what makes the story (and the actual history) so sad.

I must add that the scope photography was fantastic. The framing was for 2:35 alone. Usually, it's quite obvious that today's scope films are framed with dead area so they play okay with pan and scan, but this movie didn't seem to make any such concession. It was shot like an old scope movie, when they wanted to show off the process, with important elements in each part of the frame. Visually, it was very satisfying.

[ 02-25-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Hillary Charles ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the film yet. I was planning to see it sometime
on Sat. at the Loew's E-Walk on 42nd Street. I've been looking here at your reviews from around the country. Just before this post I was looking at the Rotten Tomatoes site. They have 89
reviews for the film. Out of 89, 8 turn-up as Fresh and 81 [Eek!] as Rotten. So is it worth the time?? [eyes]

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

If you look at the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes, you will notice that they represent mostly pop style magazines or newspapers, the ones who will probably give "XXX" a good rating. [Roll Eyes] As far as historic and dramatic movies go, I wouldn't base my decision on seeing movies on them. Don't let those type of reviewers deter you from seeing this film.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 08:43 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Darren, good point about Rotten Tomatoes.

I have to move it to Sunday afternoon now. I have
a St. Patricks Day parade to go see on Sat now.
[beer] [beer] [beer] [beer] [beer] [beer]

So Sunday sounds like a good day to see a long movie [Smile]

Bill

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-27-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

The best way to check on a film before seeing it is CinemaScore. I used to get results from them every Friday nigt by email subscription but get it no longer because the same information is available about the same time- for free on their website. CinemaScore is great because the grade a film gets is based on opinions from the public in three different age groups. The first group is under 21 years of age, the next group is 21 to 35 years of age the the 3rd group is everyone over 35 year . "GOGS AND GENERALS" received an A and A- from the under 21 year group and B's from everyone over 21. "PEARL HARBOR" received very bad reviews from almost eveyone at Rotten Tomatoes but got A's & B's from CinemaScore. On the other hand, the recent "SOLARIS" got a lot of great reviews but received a big fat 'F" from all age groups at CinemaScore. Because of that report, I never bothered to see the movie. When great films like "CASABLANCA" and very entertaining ones like "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" gets scalding reviews when they were first released and praised today and regarded as classic American films should give you a good idea how hypocritical many film critics can be. I never let films reviews influence me. In fact, I never read reviews because they often reveal story content I prefer not to know if I am planning to see the movie.,

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: