Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Daredevil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Daredevil
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2003 04:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This film wants soooooo bad to be Spiderman, but it just isn't. There are some good sequences and special effects in the show (along with a lot of bag cgi), but in the end it's just a bland and mediocre way to kill a couple of hours. It's not a painful experience, I just didn't walk away feeling it was time well spent or wasted (I was being paid to check the print). Just in between and overwhelmingly blah. Had I seen this for the first time on tv, I would have probably watched it until the first commercial break, then changed channels.

Hey, what did you expect from the man who brought us those timeless classics "Simon Birch" and "Jack Frost"???

|  IP: Logged

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad, Blah.

I might have went into this with high expectations, causing it to feel like a major let down, but it really wasn't that good. X2 should kill this flick.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 03:51 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I like it a little bit better than you both. I thought that it was really entertaining at parts. Ben did a good job with what he had and Jennifer did a decent job as well (she is rumored to get her own spin off)as long as they were not on the screen at the same time. With out spoiling anything, my biggest complaint was how the climax of the movie just happen. It almost felt like an entire reel of the movie was missing.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly enjoyed it. I went in with a lot of comic baggage and left more than satisfied. I don't think the film makers wanted any of spiderman, but the big wigs did for that cashola. They got most of the facts right and those they didn't were miniscule. Obviously if you don't like slightly over the top action and tight leather its not for you. The sound mix was pretty good, and that first fight scene had a really different mix. Its great to see a comicbook movie in SCOPE, gotta love it.

I enjoyed it and anyone not seeing it, don't worry I'll see it for ya.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to nitpick this one line just a bit...

quote:
"slightly over the top action"
Huh??? Here we have a blind man who jumps off of the tallest skyscrapers of over 100 stories tall, does a couple of flips over poles and such and lands on the ground without even having to barely bend his knees.

You did say "slightly", right? [Razz]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 02:22 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its great to see a comicbook movie in SCOPE, gotta love it.
For a real comic book movie in scope, try the original Superman! Nothing else compares if you ask me.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wasn't a very big fan of this one. I've been really into the recent wave of comic book movies, but this one was a total letdown. The plot was really shallow, the script was really godawful at some points, and the acting was pretty sub par. And, speaking as a total comic dork, I don't think they could have ruined some of these characters any more. I think anybody who collects/collected comics would agree with me that it takes serious work to actually make BullsEye even LAMER than he was in the comics. [Smile]

The plus side of seeing this movie was that we laced it up and watched it for a private midnight showing for "Punks Only". Watching a movie in a dark theater with 2 dozen drunk Punk Rockers can make any movie amusing! [Smile]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-14-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it for the most part. The opening sequence bears many resemblences to Spderman. I hope MARVEL does not make this a habbit with the rest of their movies.

I could not get over his hair! He is wearing a tupee (sp?) throughout the film. It does not bounce, blow in the wind or even get wet! Is Aflec bald?

Also the movie exagerated the action far to much. He gets a seriouse flesh wound and is fighting 5 mins later with full use of the injured area!

On the other hand, the sound design was excellent.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2003 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was OK for mindless entertainment value. It's forgettable, though, since it is neither great nor terrible.

Mike--I agree with you that the sound mix was excellent.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 04:50 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of the LARGEST(not is scale) fans of the original and all the Superman movies(which were all scope, even Supergirl), I was reffering to the modern restart of comic movies. Last Scope comic movies-Blade, From Hell, Judge Dredd and X-men, now Daredevil and soon X2 and LXG. Hulk will most likely be Flat as were Spiderman, all the Batmans, Punisher, Blade 2, TMNT and Crow.

Brad, some of the action movies supposedly based in the 'real' world have way over the top action which pales this movie, but hell, its a comic movie, if ya wanted realism you'd watch The Pianist or Platoon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that Josh, but you're just stating the obvious fact that any superhero movie is not going to be realistic by the sheer subject material alone. Perhaps I should've said that I was expecting a super hero movie, not a stupid movie. [Razz]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately for Dare Devil, this movie came after the first X-Man movie and of course Spiderman. What would some of you have been saying if this movie had came out after the last Batman movie? The bar has been raised kind of high (and I am not saying that thats a bad thing either).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-16-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
02/16/2003, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 12:15PM, #4, DTS. Attendance about 20. I would give the presentation an "excellent" except the first 60 secs. or so of reel 3 was intermittently fogged and had some heavy black horizontal scratches. Some kind of lab screwup I assume. The DTS sound didn't drop out once though. DTS also handled the musical transitions across reel changes perfectly.

I liked it well enough for what it is. I don't read "graphic novels" and to tell the truth I'd never heard of Daredevil before this movie came along. [Big Grin] The tone of the film is very different from Spider-Man, so it may not be fair to make direct comparisons between the two. The "look" is also different and I didn't really care much for some of it. It seemed like some bad choices were made by the colorist(s). Then there's Ben Affleck who I generally don't like, and I didn't much like him in this either. Now having said all that, I did semi-enjoy the film and it held my attention. Colin Farrell does a very good job as Bullseye. Michael Clark Duncan is good too. Overall I give this, oh, a 6.5. Thumbs up but just barely. [thumbsup] The sound design is very good -- I'll give it that.

Did anyone think that some of the closeup head shots seemed like they were oddly framed? Tops of heads are frequently cut off unnaturally. Also some of the action sequences are almost incoherently staged.

Make that a 5.5.

[ 02-16-2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little tough not to compare this film with Spiderman. The jumping from building to building with the cable shot from that thing he carried is just a little too parallel to not see the similarities. I was disappointed in it. The story really dragged in more than one area. The action scenes could have been really good, but the darkness of them combined with the flashes and such really made it confusing to look at. BTW, can anyone tell me how the billiard tables caught fire? [Confused]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 11:23 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The alcohol from their drinks maybe? [Confused]

I want to know when did he have all that time to learn martial arts? They showed him using a punching bag for a couple of seconds but thats about it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: