Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Russian Ark

Author Topic: Russian Ark
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Kew Gardens Cinema,Queens, NYC. (Now a 5-plex Art Cinema.)

Shot in a single day in a continuous take with a digital camera on a steady-cam, this Russian/German production explores the rooms of the Hermitage palace and royal art museum. More a pageant/documentary/museum-tour than a feature film, the only linking plot device used the ghost of a man killed in a carriage accident, and the ghost of a French diplomat/writer as our guides through history. The Frenchman is by turns cynical, chauvenistic and admiring of the artistic tastes of the Hermitage patrons. We learn a little of Peter and Catherine's
tastes in Petrograd/Leningrad/Petersburg, and glimpse these historical characters and some more modern ones, such as three generations of Hermitage directors, and evesdrop on their conversation about how they saved the treasures during the siege of Leningrad.

The film begins in the candle-lit basement corridors, and the
dim orange colors give way toward the end to a brightly-lit dance and concert in the Czar Nicholas Great Hall, where seemingly thousands of brilliantly costumed revelers applaud.
The music in Dolby filled the auditorium very well.

I found the film slow-moving but beautiful. However, the lack of a story disappointed me. As a child, I shared the common fantasy of "what if I could become invisible?", and this lends some interest to the antics of the two ghosts, but I never learned if the Frenchman was supposed to be a real, identifiable character or just the ghost of a generic gallic skeptic. The principal ghost represents the viewer. Both sort of disappear at the end, but the real subject, the Hermitage "ark" of cultural treasures and the historical soul of Russia, lingers on in the mind...
Gerard

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a trailer online for this the other day and am very much looking foward to it. How did they get around the end-of-reel thing with it being one shot? Did they do the old Hitchcock 'moving-in-to-an-extreme-closeup-of-someone's-back' deal or something?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-10-2003 10:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shot with a 24P HD digital camera and special recorder.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print we ran had seen multiple Film Done Wrong platters/6k's already and that one long shot looked more like six separate shots due to the missing frames.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think that the Frenchman, or the ‘Marquis” as he called himself, was most likely a real person, as he interacted with too many other people during the course of the film to have been invisible himself. He was also the only person who could see the phantom of the artist (the POV of the camera). At the end of the movie they wind up at the last ball thrown by Tzar Nicholas before his assassination at the start of the Bolshevik Revolution, and despite his previous cynicism is so enchanted and saddened that he decides to stay behind rather than face the future. Of course the question is, were they moving back in forth through time, or was time moving back and forth around them?

What was also interesting was watching the amount of people who glanced at the camera when they shouldn’t have acknowledged its presence. One actor at the ball actually turns to walk away and almost runs into the lens before backing off. Also, as the guests leave the ball and exit down the grand staircase, look for the actress who trips and almost goes over before steadying herself on the guy in front of her. I guess not everything can go perfectly, but it sure came close.

Russian Ark was shot with the Sony CineAlta in uncompressed HD using specially built hard disk recorders that the Steadycam operator carried on his back during the shoot. Iris and focus were pulled via RF by an assistant who followed him around. Another assistant stayed one room ahead of the camera and radioed f-stop readings back to the camera group. There is a lengthy article on the filming in the January American Cinematographer.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really looking forward to this one. It certainly is an amazing technical feat to shoot a full-length feature in one take. Highest praise must go to the cinematographer and the assistant who carried around the array of hard drives.

This thing is S--L--O--W. I started looking at my watch about 20 minutes into the picture. I kept expecting to be amazed, but I found myself just bored.

I would suggest that, should you choose to see this film, that you do some research on the characters you will encounter along the way. Reading the program notes helped figure out a few things.

I found the "Frenchman" annoying. He floats in and out of reality. There is even a short section in pretend-slow-motion that was very strange.

If you like history, or beautiful art work, you might like this film. If not, I think you might be in for a slow ride.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 03:25 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I not understand because the plot was too complicated or because there just wasn't a plot?

It's a shame that in all the excitment about the technology, they forgot about a plot and story.

Take a good book with you. [Big Grin]

Ok, you want to set up a single 90 minute shot huh?, but please in the future - point the camera at something interesting.

[ 06-14-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Michael Brown ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: