Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 25th Hour

Author Topic: 25th Hour
Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Location: Kerasotes Stadium 16 Evansville, IN; Showing: 2/3/03 7:15p; Sound: DTS; Audience: 8

Since we didn't get this one at the theatre I work at, I was forced to go to the competition on the other end of town. Presentation-wise, it was sub-par, seeing as they got the print on Friday, it being Monday, and the print had 5 or 6 black vertical lines running down the left (soundtrack) side of the picture. The picture was out of frame slightly, but only enough for a theatre-eye to tell, so I didn't complain (didn't notice too bad after the trailers anyway). The focus was odd, as the bottom was crisp, but the top had a slight 3-D embossed look, most noticabley on the green bands on the trailers. Also, believe that the lamp was slightly under recommended brightness level, as the corners had a slight shadowy look. On the good side, the sound sounded very good, and was definitely much warmer than my home theatre, and I didn't notice until the end that it was a DTS theatre, something we don't have (SRD only).

On to the movie. The film was very laid back and had a great feel to it. The score was beautiful and really played on the feeling of the movie, and made great use of the surround channels in the club scenes. The cinematography was well done, with some minor effects that really emphasized certain parts. The entire story wasn't one of those Hollywood style plots, being this is just about one last die of a man's life before going to prison; no big twists and turns, no complex story to follow, just a great telling of this last day. Spike Lee really handled this well, and really showed his color in the "Fuck You" scene. Ed Norton, PSH, and Barry Pepper all played their respective roles perfectly, and Brian Cox layed low pretty much throughout. The entire film just meshed so well, especially in the recent crop of poorly done movies that I've seen, some notables excluded.

Overall: 8/10

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2003 04:08 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the best movie I have seen in a long time.
I cried at the end.
No other movie has done that in quite a while.
If it doesn't at least get nominated for best picture, I will kill someone.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: